New dining options receive mixed reviews

New dining option Pitchfork Provisions received positive reviews, while the Food Factory faced some criticism.

With two new dining options on campus at the start of this academic year, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee is looking to further expand the dining experience for students.

In its first meeting of the year Tuesday night, DUSDAC members gathered to share their views on two new on-campus venues, Pitchfork Provisions and the Food Factory at Devil’s Bistro. Committee members were joined by three faculty advisors Rick Johnson, assistant vice president for housing and dining; Franca Alphin, director of nutrition services at Student Health; and Barbara Stokes, assistant director of dining.

Pitchfork Provisions, located on the basement floor of McClendon Tower, received praise from committee members for its convenient operating schedule and menu. The Food Factory, which opened on Central Campus and replaced Devil’s Bistro at the start of this year, faced some criticism, however, for its lack of variety.

“I really like that [Pitchfork Provisions] is open 24 hours a day,” said DUSDAC member Anant Jha, a junior. Jha added that he also liked the price variation at the eatery, with items ranging anywhere between $3 and $15.

The Food Factory, on the other hand, did not receive as positive of feedback. Members said their main concerns included the eatery’s lack of variety and lack of versatility as a sandwich shop to fulfill any meal other than lunch.

Co-Chair Beth Gordon, a junior, said she was particularly concerned about the lack of choices for vegetarians.

“[I] had just gotten a complaint from a vegetarian that there were only three options or so for vegetarians [at the Food Factory,]” Gordon said.

Changes to the Marketplace were also a topic of discussion for the committee, one of which is an optional meal upgrade.

For $5, diners at the Marketplace can upgrade their meal to include high-quality flank steak and salmon. In total, only three salmon upgrades have been purchased and zero flank steak, Stokes said.

DUSDAC member Chris Taylor, a sophomore, said he is optimistic that number will change soon, once the repetitiveness of the Marketplace starts to wear on the freshmen.

“A couple weeks down the road, people would love to have that option,” Taylor said.

Committee members also discussed the possible addition of several national chains to the existing Merchants on Points program.

One of the possible eateries is Jersey Mike’s Subs—a sub-sandwich style vendor.

“Their director of dining was very interested in getting out here to know Duke students,” said co-Chair Jane Moore, a senior.

Moore said she would support the addition of Jersey Mike’s, adding that she believes it is a tastier option than competitor Jimmy John’s, which is already on the MOP system.

Dunkin’ Donuts is the latest addition to the MOP program. DUSDAC members, however, said they were a bit unclear as to how the delivery process would work.

Moore and Gordon said the idea of Dunkin’ Donuts driving out to Duke simply to deliver a cup of coffee or a donut seemed confusing.

The number of merchants participating in the MOP program will remain at 20, Johnson added.

In other business:

DUSDAC also considered different methods of receiving feedback from students on their dining experiences to encourage a higher volume of response.

Gordon said she is concerned that there are students out there that want to voice their opinions but do not know where to direct them.

Options currently being considered include a DukeMobile Dining feedback app and displaying comment cards at more venues so that students no longer have to take the time to fill out a feedback form online.

Share and discuss “New dining options receive mixed reviews” on social media.