The Marketplace sees expanded seating, menu

Changes during the summer have allowed for expanded seating in the Marketplace, which accomodates 100 additional people. The Trinity Cafe has been relocated to the East Union building’s lobby.

The Marketplace has undergone an extreme makeover.

Trinity Cafe and the Marketplace saw multiple changes throughout the summer as part of Housing, Dining and Residence Life’s effort to improve the First-Year Experience.

Perhaps the most significant change is the expanded seating in the Marketplace. The space formerly occupied by Trinity Cafe has been cleared and replaced with more space for Marketplace diners, adding a total of 100 seats to the Marketplace, said Rick Johnson, assistant vice president for HDRL.

Johnson noted that these changes are the first signs of housing and dining working together to provide a more communal experience for students.

“We heard from students that one of their top concerns was that there were not enough seats,” Johnson said. “This change not only addresses that concern, [but also] positions dining services to work together with residence life in the future to host house dinners so that houses may dine together.”

Some resident assistants especially appreciated having more space in the Marketplace.

“I especially like the expansion of the left seating area,” said East Campus resident assistant Lynea Bull, a sophomore. “It’s easier to sit with groups of friends now.”

Senior Liz Jones added that the extra seating would benefit students especially during dinner rush hours.

And freshmen said they are already noticing the need for even more space in the Marketplace.

“Some nights are already crowded enough as it is,” freshman James Pardee said. “I can’t imagine the Marketplace with any less seating space.”

And in its new location, Trinity Cafe now occupies half of the East Union building’s lobby.

Though the extra seating and special programs may serve worthy purposes in the Marketplace, students question the positioning of Trinity Cafe.

“I think Trinity Cafe is struggling in the spot that it’s in,” Bull said, “While it’s highly convenient for customer traffic, I find the space crippling and uncomfortable.”

Another byproduct of Trinity’s relocation is the removal of the ePrint station formerly occupying the left wing of the lobby.

“I remember [the ePrint station] being a convenient spot to pick up print jobs before or after meals,” said Ming Jiu Li, a senior.

Vice President for Student Affairs Larry Moneta noted that the relocation of Trinity Cafe not only provides more seating for Marketplace diners, but also better activates the lobby by making it an independent and self-sufficient environment.

With regard to the food being served, the Marketplace has not only been expanded but reorganized, with changes such as an updated salad bar with new serving wares.

“I feel that the management is taking measures to keep things more orderly and sanitary,” sophomore Leila Alapour said. “It’s the little things like the neater condiment stations and labeled utensil bins that make a noticeable difference.”

This year Marketplace management aims to foster community among freshmen with the return of programs such as Midnight Breakfast and Student Appreciation Day, as well as the introduction of new programs.

“We heard that the food was good, but it got old going to the same place, so we increased the number and scale of special events offered in the Marketplace to increase variety and excitement,” Johnson said.

Johnson noted that one new event will be a special Valentine’s Day meal for 30 lucky students chosen randomly.

The weekly Marketplace menu has also undergone changes. New menu items include mahi-mahi with lemon butter, rib-eye steak with sauteed button mushrooms and lobster pasta bakes, he added. The menu will continue to change based on season and availability.

Moneta added that the plan for the reorganization of the Marketplace made the most sense given the primary objective of creating more space.

“We’ve exhausted all changes for the future,” Moneta said. “[But] we always have changes ahead.”

Share and discuss “The Marketplace sees expanded seating, menu” on social media.