Duke's 7 most amusing gargoyles

Whether you’ve realized it or not, they are watching you.

Etched onto buildings throughout West Campus, these gargoyles peer down at us every day, though most of us have hardly noticed them. Here’s a look at seven of the most amusing gargoyles on campus, along with an interpretive (and highly inaccurate) description.

All photos taken by Irina Danescu.

Generic Script

The Chapel baby

On the side of Duke’s iconic Gothic Chapel, there protrudes the head of a drooling infant. In contrast to the nearby statues of influential figures, this baby looks like it can do little more than cry, babble and drool. This baby manages to invoke angelic images while also reassuring passersby that unaccomplished people can have statues made of themselves too.

Generic Script

The multitasking elf

Located on the exterior of Perkins Library, this elf is appropriately writing on a scroll. Decked out in a Christopher Columbus-inspired hat and Santa-issued shoes, he is evidently a shrewd scribe who has learned to write with a pen the length of his head. Impressively, he has also learned to turn his head a full 180 degrees and has been recruited by a traveling circus.

Generic Script

The creeping scholar

This gargoyle is shamelessly checking you out. With a crooked, pedophilic smile, this gargoyle welcomes visitors to the West Union building. He also enjoys reading and collecting bifocals.

Generic Script

The grumpy knight

From his post in the Great Hall, this medieval warrior looks dejectedly forward in a perpetual state of self-pity. Ever since he was assigned to crest-holding duty instead of a more glamorous position, this knight has been wearing a frown and complaining about his overly constrictive helmet.

Generic Script

Contentment

Unlike his neighbor in the Great Hall, this guy looks completely at peace with the world. Looking relaxed in an oversized robe and a smile of genuine contentment, this gargoyle is clearly on top of his work.

Generic Script

The Mutant Cat

This gargoyle is part cat, part panther and part pure evil. It juts out from the West Union building and overlooks the plaza, looking excessively horrendous.

Generic Script

The baby saxophonist

From what I can tell, this is a baby wearing a cape while playing the saxophone. Although he could use less cheek-puffing and better embouchure, he has all the makings of a future Youtube sensation.  Random but hilarious, this gargoyle kneels in Kilgo Quad.

Share and discuss “Duke's 7 most amusing gargoyles” on social media.