DSG student life senator candidates

On Monday, the Class of 2015 will vote on their representatives for DSG for the first time, one of which is student life senator. The student life senator is generally responsible for all student concerns outside of the classroom. The Chronicle's Alice Deguelle has asked each of the five candidates a few questions about their motivations, aspirations and backgrounds.

The Chronicle: Why do you want to be the student life senator?

Jamie Bergstrom: I have been interested in DSG and the concept of self-government for quite some time now. I see the role as Senator as a great opportunity to further explore that interest while making a positive impact for my peers in the area of student life.

Tre’Ellis Scott: I'm ready, energetic and I feel connected with the class—I want to grow with them.

Willa Townsend: I’m so proud of our class and to be able to represent the class would not only be an honor but also a lot of fun.

Michael Washington: Student government has always been my passion, and I have pursued it through high school and want to continue throughout college. [The] Senate seems to be the perfect way to make changes for the better in the Duke Community.

Jenny Zhao: I wanted to do Student Life because I get to be in touch [and] listen what people have to say. I had fun with youth council in high school, and I think (DSG) would be a really good experience because you get to meet upperclassmen and be in touch with your own class.

TC: What would you like to change once you are a senator?

JB: Considering that I am a freshman and have been here for only a short period of time, it is not my intention to come into DSG with an entirely different game plan. Rather, I would like to take the opportunity to get to hear out students' concerns in the areas surrounding student life and then work on those concerns as the time comes.

TS: My main focus is working on projects with the Office of Student Activities and Facilities, while improving student accessibility and interest in Student Health and the Cultural and Religious Centers. I want the freshman class to know every opportunity available to them and how to take advantage of those opportunities.

WT: I have noticed that Duke is going through a lot of changes, especially in Student Life. I don’t want to bring about a few specific changes, but rather to guide this transition so that these changes are beneficial to the student body.

MW: Centralizing all of the student resources, improving student organization funding and club start-up support, making the financial aid process easier to understand for students (freshmen particularly), and making sure students are more aware of their rights and responsibilities.

JZ: Nothing really. My job is to represent the dorms. I’d like to organize more student activities because the people from the different (East Campus) neighborhoods don’t really get to know each other. I want to bring them together to have more fun.

The Chronicle: Why student life and not a different position?

JB: Student affairs are a critical part of every college. The role of senator for student life would allow me to represent undergraduates and voice concerns in the areas of these affairs—something that I would be more than happy to do.

TS: I looked for a way to represent my class and for a committee that affects my class.... This is where I can be the guy to take 2015 to the next level. If you want to be with the people, then what committee would be better than student life?

WT: I chose to run for student life senator because of my interests and because I can bring my expertise to this. I’m very outgoing and very connected to the student body, so I’d love to be the link between them and the administration.

MW: Being that student life affects the entirety of the student body, I think there are a lot of great things that can be done. I have so much love for the Duke student body, and I want to make sure that every student has a great experience here.

JZ: Student life is different because we get to interact with individual students. We work with each dorm and physically interact with students and house council. Student Life is not just dealing with specific issues but more listening to what everybody has to say and then working with problems.

The Chronicle: Why do you think you would be a good senator?

JB: I am a listener above anything. When formulating initiatives to solve undergraduates' concerns, it only makes sense to hear out the student body—my goal as senator.

TS: I have had numerous leadership roles, but no one's going to run for senate if they hadn't had a leadership position. We all have the skills. What sets me apart is this: Skills are one thing, applying them is another. I'm here to apply my listening skills, my creative skills. I'm a team player. I'm an ensemble kind of guy.

WT: I'm connected with the student body, dedicated to our class, and determined to make this year one of our best.

MW: I have the power three combo: experience, passion, and dedication. I have most notably served as my high school President, as a member of my city’s Youth Advisor Council along with the mayor and participated in a youth student advocacy group that serves my county. Also, I have so much passion for student government and the Duke community, which will make me truly dedicated to serving the needs of the students.

JZ: I like getting to know people. I actually went around door-to-door and introduced myself. And I did youth council in high school and represented my district in a national leadership workshop.... I have the drive to be able to get things done.

The Chronicle: What would you like to tell the class of 2015?

JB: I would like to tell the Class of 2015 that they can trust in my ability to represent. Their concerns will be voiced, and a solution will be found.

TS: I'm not here to give false promises, but what I can promise that I am ready to light the fire and jumpstart our year on the right foot.

WT: The biggest thing I want them to know is that I care. I don’t do this to further my resume. I’m running for our class.

MW: As active members of this community it is your responsibility to elect someone to the student life branch of Senate who can represent your ideas and serve as your voice to the administration and DSG officials. I know I can be that person, and if we work together, we can make great things happen.

JZ: I love Duke. I really feel part of the freshmen class and would love to represent everybody as their senator.

Share and discuss “DSG student life senator candidates” on social media.