Defense provides unheralded spark in victory over Tulane

The most intriguing numbers to arise out of Duke's Week 4 victory over Tulane:

1

The offense was firing on all cylinders this week, leading to 27 Blue Devil first downs.  With the offense moving well, punter Alex King was only called upon once all game.  In each of the previous three contests King had to punt four times.

7

Duke’s redzone issues were finally solved against Tulane.  Not only was this the first game in which the Blue Devils had a redzone scoring percentage above 50% for the first time all season, but Duke went a perfect seven for seven Saturday, rushing it in five times while connecting on a passing touchdown and a field goal.

2.5

It wasn’t just the offense that was working on Saturday.  Duke’s run defense allowed just 55 yards on 22 carries, a 2.5 yard-per-carry average.  That’s a vast improvement over the 3.24 average against BC and leagues better than the 6.83 average against Stanford.

8

Duke’s defense was consistently in the Green Wave backfield, recording eight tackles for a loss resulting in a loss of 27 Tulane yards.  Against Richmond, Stanford and Boston College, the Blue Devils had a total of eight tackles for a loss, which led to 24 lost yards.  Additionally, Duke recorded their third straight game with exactly two sacks.

Share and discuss “Defense provides unheralded spark in victory over Tulane” on social media.