Class of 2014 gathers for inaugural Sophomore Convocation ceremony

A cappella group The Pitchforks closed the Convocation ceremony with a performance of the Alma Mater.

Just 383 days after their Freshman Convocation ceremony, members of the Class of 2014 filled the Duke Chapel to witness the first-ever Sophomore Convocation.

The primary focus of the ceremony was to address the impact of the sophomore slump, a common experience where some students’ second year does not live up to the first-year experience.

“With a large portion of the juniors studying abroad and a lot of seniors preoccupied with life after Duke, [sophomores] are truly the shapers of Duke,” said Class of 2014 President Andrew Hanna, a sophomore who was central in organizing the convocation.

Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost for undergraduate education, and Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek followed Hanna’s remarks and assured the sophomore students that the year ahead would be difficult but manageable nonetheless.

Wasiolek affirmed the necessity of the sophomore-specific ceremony, as she noted that less attention has been placed on the sophomore class in previous years. After being united as a class on East Campus, she added, it can be hard for relationships to remain tight after the move to West Campus.

“It is often said that sophomore year is the toughest because students no longer feel motivated,” Wasiolek said.

Sophomores often feel urgency in deciding a major and career path, she added.

“Our job [as administrators] is to give more respect to the notion of sophomore slump and to [make certain] that you take advantage of your Duke experience, because it doesn’t last forever,” Wasiolek said.

Wasiolek added that there is no better remedy for the [sophomore] slump than love.

“Have the courage to date,” Wasiolek said. “If you want to get to know someone, ask him or her to a cup of coffee or a movie.”

In his address, Nowicki focused on coping with academics as a sophomore and said students must remember that learning can take place outside the classroom.

“[The most important things] you are learning at Duke are not the details you pick up in a course, major or program,” he said. “They are [learning] how to think critically, identify and solve problems, how to work with others and how to be adaptive.”

He similarly urged his audience to explore.

“Consider the virtues of not following the most direct path,” Nowicki said. “Allow yourself to experience the luxury of meandering.”

The a cappella group the Pitchforks closed the ceremony with a performance of the Duke alma mater, “Dear Old Duke,” as attendees were given vouchers for free Local Yogurt.

“The convocation was inspiring and uplifting,” sophomore Patrick Oathout said. “I was really inspired by Dean Nowicki’s message to pursue learning for its own sake.”

Sophomore Noelle Ohanesian said that though she was attracted to commencement because of free Local Yogurt, she appreciated how the event forced her to reflect on the start of her sophomore year and consider changes she should make in order to have the kind of experience she wants.

“It was a great occasion to mark the start of what will be a great year,” sophomore Melissa Bradley said. “The free [Local Yogurt] didn’t hurt either.”

Hanna noted that the Class of 2014 Class Council and the Sophomore Year Experience board are planning more programs to accommodate the sophomore class. Students can expect future programs such as freshman residence hall reunions, a sophomore service opportunity and similar large-scale social events.

“If you happen to be experiencing the slump of the blues, know that others are looking towards you,” Wasiolek said in her closing statement. “Duke needs you.”

Share and discuss “Class of 2014 gathers for inaugural Sophomore Convocation ceremony” on social media.