One More Time

Duke and Virginia’s last game ended in a 13-11 Blue Devil win. They play each other yet again Friday at Koskinen.

The Blue Devils’ quest for an ACC tournament title begins tonight at 7:30 at Konskinen Stadium, as they will face Virginia for the second time in one week, after defeating the Cavaliers last Saturday, 13-11.

The contest seems like déjà vu—the teams will play in the same stadium they did last time, only with strangely reversed roles. While the Blue Devils (10-4, 3-0 in the ACC) were considered the underdogs one week ago, they have regained their confidence and acquired a newfound poise. The Cavaliers, on the other hand, have found themselves in a slump, looking for answers and players to step up.

Key to this entire matchup is the fact that Virginia may again be missing their best player, Steele Stanwick.

“We recognize they were not playing with their best player,” head coach John Danowski said. “In order for us to be successful we’re going to have to play much, much better on the defensive end and we’re going to be much more attentive on the wings and on the faceoffs.”

Stanwick, a finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy and a member of the All-ACC team, has been one of the most electric attackers in the country, anchoring an offense that ranks No. 1 nationally with 13 goals per game. Duke clearly benefited last weekend as the Cavaliers’ scoring efforts lacked the incisiveness and touch of Stanwick.

His presence in this upcoming game may a deciding factor. At the moment, Stanwick is listed as day-to-day and it will be a game-time decision if he plays.

Regardless of whether Stanwick plays, Virginia (8-4, 1-2) will rely on its depth to defeat the Blue Devils.

Duke is in a similar position, looking for more players to contribute.

“Anybody can step up at any time,” Danowski said. “We rely on no one [player]... but we rely on everyone to make the play that is available to them.”

Last week it was midfielder Robert Rotanz who had one of the best performances of his career, with five points off four goals and an assist. Other players who will be expected to contribute include junior CJ Costabile and freshman Jordan Wolf, both of whom were named to the All-ACC team yesterday.

Senior Zach Howell, the only starting attacker from last year’s national championship squad, and the other upperclassmen will be looked on to provide leadership and game-winning experience.

“[Senior leadership], it’s huge this time of the year,” Danowski said. “The hope is that we learn from last year’s experience and those guys can show the way.... It’s about your seniors and their sense of urgency.”

This time around, Duke hopes to avenge a loss suffered to Virginia in the ACC tournament last year. Odds are good that, under the leadership of Danowski, the Blue Devils will be able to accomplish this. Duke has a strong record against the Cavaliers, losing only one of its previous 11 meetings against Virginia.

Tonight the Blue Devils will look to continue that hot streak.

Share and discuss “One More Time” on social media.