Lowering language-learning inhibitions (sans shots)

College is as perfect an opportunity you will get to dive into something new. One of the most rewarding new things you can try is a foreign language. Yet, we often fall into a false sense of learning so much, only to be caught awkward and speechless when we finally study abroad and try to talk with locals. How to ease the transition between the classroom at Duke and the real world where, oh right, we’re supposed to apply what we learn: that is the question.

Sure, you could take a few shots, but how about taking advantage of the numerous on-campus discussion groups? Many language clubs on campus host weekly chats conducted entirely in their particular tongue, the atmosphere being very informal and topics varying based simply on what people want to talk about.

While speaking up in front of classmates during in-class discussions may be intimidating, the scene at these gatherings is of a much more lively nature, as students engage in multiple conversations simultaneously.

“In the classroom, conversation can be formulaic and formal," said sophomore Spencer Paez of La Table Française, the French Department’s weekly discussion group held in the Great Hall. "With this informal and relaxed setting… I can speak more freely and open-endedly about my opinions…without worrying about etiquette or correctness.”

I don’t know about you, but the phrase “lowering inhibitions” definitely came to my mind upon hearing this. And discussion groups may certainly be a better substitute for other inhibition-lowering things when it comes to learning a foreign language.

Currently, there seems to be a lack of non-Romance and Germanic language discussion groups, but if students are really looking to learn arguably more difficult languages like Chinese or Arabic, they need to practice, and demand should hopefully grow in the near future for discussion groups in these other language families.

Although the semester is ending soon, several language clubs have yet to host their last meetings of the year. So if you are interested in learning more about when these meetings happen or simply peaking your interest in attending meetings next year, check out the following pages:

La Table Française (French)

These are among the many great opportunities on Duke’s campus, but like with all of them, we as students have to take the initiative and seize them. Effective language-learning requires effort on the part of the students. Sorry, guys and gals, but alcohol can’t solve all of our problems. C’est la vie!

Share and discuss “Lowering language-learning inhibitions (sans shots)” on social media.