Candidates look to connect DSG with student body

Ebonie Simpson, a junior,  has experience as a student affairs senator and serves as the executive vice president of the Black Student Alliance. Michael Habashi, a sophomore, is the Honor Council’s vice chair of internal affairs and participated in the Leadership Roundtable.
Ebonie Simpson, a junior, has experience as a student affairs senator and serves as the executive vice president of the Black Student Alliance. Michael Habashi, a sophomore, is the Honor Council’s vice chair of internal affairs and participated in the Leadership Roundtable.

Two candidates are competing to bring the student voice to Duke Student Government.

Junior Ebonie Simpson and sophomore Michael Habashi are campaigning for vice president for student life. DSG recently changed the name of the committee from its current title—student affairs—to reflect internal restructuring following the approved merger with Campus Council. Both candidates currently serve as senators on the committee.

Habashi plans to serve as a mediator between DSG and students. He said DSG members often do not take the student perspective into account when establishing legislation, furthering the divide between DSG and the rest of the student body. If elected, he plans to use the results from the first DSG Survey Commission, an effort he spearheaded earlier this year that gathered information about students, to create initiatives that reflect student concerns. He would also like to make student life committee meetings open to the general student body.

“In the first year in DSG, I gathered the opinions of 1,000 students,” he said. “In the second year, I can change 1,000 opinions.”

In addition to his work with DSG, Habashi is the Honor Council’s vice chair of internal affairs and participated in the Leadership Roundtable, a semester-long series for freshmen. He noted that his relationships with administrators, such as Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek, will help him bridge the gap between students and the administration.

If elected, Habashi plans to increase student awareness and the use of campus amenities, such as Counseling and Psychological Services and the Career Center. Through DSG and his own research, he said he has gained detailed insight into Duke students’ lives and believes students can receive help resolving their problems if they use these services.

Additionally, he wants to foster a sense of community on campus and increase students’ respect for themselves and each other. Although levels of respect are difficult to measure, Habashi said he can accomplish these goals by collaborating with students and administrators at the beginning of the Fall semester to develop “a greater sense of belonging.” He cited holding Friday arts performances on the Bryan Center Plaza as a potential community project.

Simpson considers her top goals to be student advocacy and accessibility to DSG. She believes that her experiences as a student affairs senator, East Campus resident assistant, executive vice president of the Black Student Alliance and her involvement in other student groups make her a strong liaison between the student body and DSG. If elected, she said she promises to assist students in effectively communicating their concerns to DSG.

“Some non-DSG students don’t think that DSG is doing anything for them, but if they’re able to take action with DSG as their ally... it creates a whole other dynamic,” Simpson said.

Specifically, she said she plans to develop action-based focus groups, standing student groups that would discuss campus issues such as the role of greek life on campus and race relations. The groups, which would consist of DSG student life senators and student body representatives, would meet at least twice per month and develop action plans to be implemented in the Spring semester.

Ongoing conversation and setting tangible goals with DSG’s assistance would help students overcome many of the challenges they face on campus, Simpson said.

Noting that she has worked with the Women’s Center, the Career Center and the Wellness Center in addition to her current position in DSG, Simpson said she is engaged in the student issues that she will address if elected vice president for student affairs.

“Not only am I passionate about student life in general, but it is my life—I live it every day. I have a strong grasp of the position,” she said.

Share and discuss “Candidates look to connect DSG with student body” on social media.