Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes

Lykke Li’s 2008 debut, Youth Novel, was a carefree exploration of young and vulnerable love, including lighthearted anthems such as “Dance, Dance, Dance” and “I’m Good, I’m Gone.” With her highly anticipated sophomore effort Wounded Rhymes, Li peels back the surface to reveal a darker and heavier edge. Though there are some standouts, the album as a whole falls short, with too much emphasis on instrumental production and not enough on the vocal roots that made her stand out in the first place.

Wounded Rhymes is dominated musically by an interesting marriage of Americana and tribal beats. The opener, “Youth Knows No Pain,” sets the tone for the rest of the album—Hammond organ melodies are coupled with syncopated drumming, establishing the driving force of the beats.

The powerful percussion is reflective of Li’s coming of age and shedding of her delicate image. No longer the shy girl who only wanted to “dance, dance, dance,” she is now “your prostitute” who proclaims, “Don’t make demands/I don’t take none” in her most provocative track, “Get Some.”

The strongest tracks of the album, however, place vocals at the forefront. In “Love Out of Lust,” Li’s hazy singing is prominently featured, allowing her heartfelt lyrics such as “Rather die in your arms/Than die lonesome/Rather die hard/Than die hollow” to fully resonate. Producer Bjorn Yttling keeps the vocals high in the mix on “I Know Places,” a sweet love song set against acoustic guitar strumming, and “Unrequited Love,” an homage to folk balladry.

Although Li is still a hopeless romantic at her core, Wounded Rhymes sees her growing up and confronting deeper issues. Transitional in both scope and sound, the record is a promising step forward, held back only by its persistent instrumental ambience.

Share and discuss “Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes” on social media.