Back in starting lineup, Miles Plumlee makes impact

In three games at the ACC tournament, Miles Plumlee took advantage of a starting role, scoring 8.7 points and grabbing 6.7 rebounds per game.

Last year, Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler fueled the Blue Devils’ scoring output. But it was big men Brian Zoubek and Lance Thomas who unexpectedly emerged as essential contributors to the Duke title run.

This season, junior Miles Plumlee has the potential to serve as this year’s catalyst to spark the Blue Devils to make another deep run in the NCAA Tournament.

Especially given his breakout performance in last week’s ACC tournament.

“Miles has been great,” Smith said. “He’s playing so athletic on both ends of the court and that’s what we need from him. He’s been an animal for us.”

Plumlee began the year in the starting five, but fell out of favor at the beginning of the ACC season, losing playing time in the months of January and February. He was benched in favor of Ryan Kelly in the Jan. 15 Virginia contest, and didn’t crack the starting lineup again until last Friday’s conference quarterfinal matchup against Maryland.

But now the junior forward has emerged as a force on the offensive glass, using his size and athleticism to create second-chance opportunities. Making a smooth transition back into the starting lineup, Plumlee averaged 8.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game in Duke’s three contests last weekend, including a career-high eight offensive rebounds against the Terrapins.

With the team’s arsenal of capable shooters, Duke relies heavily on 3-point baskets to initiate and maintain scoring sprees. Plumlee’s rebounding prowess, then, allows him to score easy baskets around the rim and make outlet passes to the team’s guards on the perimeter.

Like Zoubek, Plumlee uses his physicality to set strong on-ball screens and create driving lanes for the likes of Smith and Singler. Recently, he has shown the ability to score with his back to the basket, developing a repertoire of post moves that includes a hook shot and drop step.

“[Miles has] added a physicality to our team and athleticism that made us better and gave us different looks,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “I think he seems really relaxed at who he is…. He’s reacting better.”

On defense, Plumlee has started challenging opposing team’s post players with his strong 6-foot-10 frame and leaping ability. In the ACC championship, Plumlee did not allow North Carolina center Tyler Zeller to get into an offensive rhythm.

His help defense, in which he uses his speed to bring weak-side assistance, was on display Saturday in the semifinal game. Plumlee served as a secondary defender to Virginia Tech forward Jeff Allen, who was covered by Singler and only scored two points in the contest.

Although Plumlee has shown flashes of his talent over the course of his career, the ACC tournament marked the first time this season he has posted a string of solid performances. And if Plumlee plays as consistently as he did last week, he can become a key contributor to another Final Four appearance for the Blue Devils.

“With his aggressiveness. Miles is an athletic, physical person, and he’s very unique in that regard,” Singler said. “He’s playing really well right now so if he can keep on doing what he’s doing it would be big for us.”

Share and discuss “Back in starting lineup, Miles Plumlee makes impact” on social media.