Open forum sheds light on merger

Students participate in Monday’s forum, designed to clarify the DSG-Campus Council merger. The event addressed such issues as opportunities to participate in organizations and pursue policy-making positions.

A policy aimed to streamline two major student organizations is still a work in progress—and many members of the student body appear to be unaware of the potential change.

In an attempt to alleviate this issue, sophomore Alex Swain, member of Duke Student Government’s Rules Committee, organized an open forum for students to learn about the proposed merger of Campus Council and DSG.

Although the event’s goal was to bridge the gap between students and their representatives in campus organizations, attendance at the Monday session was low. Fifteen students attended the forum—many of whom were already members of the two organizations.

“This was organized because it was important for students to know what was going on and to ask questions and provide comments about something that would affect them directly,” Swain said. “Before, it seemed like a secretive deal, and I don’t agree with that.”

Swain said there was minimal time to plan the event, which could account for the low attendance.

“This was a step trying to involve the Duke student community more,” Swain said after the event. “I wish more people could have come.”

Last week, Campus Council voted in favor of the proposal that was presented at the forum. If the referendum—which would combine dining and residence life under the leadership of a fifth DSG vice president—is passed, it would go into effect Fall 2011. The DSG Senate will vote on the proposal Feb. 8, and the referendum could be included on the Feb. 15 student body-wide Young Trustee election ballot.

DSG President Mike Lefevre, a senior, called the plan an “opportunity for collaboration,” adding that he hoped the forum would bring student leaders and the student body together to talk about significant changes in the structure of student organizations. Lefevre mentioned that the plan echoes changes in Duke’s structure and administration, such as the recent appointment of Rick Johnson, assistant vice president of housing and dining, and the development of the house model.

“We are trying to find ways to change with the administration to consolidate responsibility for resident life and policy into one position,” Lefevre said.

Junior Betsy Klein, Campus Council programming chair and an attendee at the forum, said the council’s general consensus was that the plan would result in a more efficient government.

“Yes, there are a lot of details that need to be worked out but I am confident that we will have everything ready to go next year,” Klein said. “I think it is great that Duke Student Government, Duke University Union and Campus Council displayed a united front on these issues.”

Although the organizations have been collaborating, some East Campus Council members present at the forum expressed that they had little knowledge of the proposed merger. Freshman Shikha Nayar, president of Bell Tower house council, said the specifics of the plan are unclear, adding that the student body does not realize a major change might take place.

“I wasn’t quite sure what the plan entailed but I seem to be one of the only ones to have come to the forum to find out,” Nayar said.

Although Campus Council supported the proposal last week, many of the organization’s members still had questions about the long-term consequences of the change. Some attendees expressed the concern that the merger would limit opportunities to participate in organizations, but Lefevre clarified that opportunities to hold positions in organizations would not be lost if Campus Council is dissolved.

“We intend to do everything we can to make sure we don’t lose any of the wisdom of Campus Council when it is moved to DSG, because the new committees created will create positions for application,” Lefevre said. “We also aim to encourage more ad-hoc members.”

Duke University Union President Yi Zhang, a senior, said that Campus Council’s “small- to medium-sized programming” would move into DUU’s purview if it is ultimately dissolved. If students wanted to remain involved in programming instead of policy making, Zhang said, they should join DUU.

For those students who wish to pursue policy-making positions, Campus Council member Kate Schisler, a senior, expressed her concern that DSG is unapproachable.

“DSG is only as approachable as the people in it,” Lefevre responded.

In response to a question about potential candidates fearing student-body elections, Lefevre said opportunities for participation remain for those who do not wish to run a public election.

Despite general support for the proposed merger, most students at the forum indicated that some details of the policy need to be ironed out.

“Being around Duke for a long time I can understand the benefit of the merger, but it is important to make sure that it is done well if it is done at all,” Schisler said. “So that is why it is necessary to raise a lot of questions to ensure that the benefits of Campus Council are incorporated into the new DSG.”

Share and discuss “Open forum sheds light on merger” on social media.