Meet the Graduate Young Trustee Finalists

The three graduate Young Trustees were selected Sunday night. The Graduate and Professional Student Council will elect the candidate at its Feb. 15 meeting.

Joshua Makaron, second-year MBA candidate

Involvement: Co-Chair of the Duke Conference on Sustainable Business and Social Impact, peer mentor to Fuqua foreign exchange students, career mentor to Duke undergraduates

What do you hope to accomplish if you are elected Young Trustee? “I would like to include the graduate perspective as much as possible and continue in the building of Duke’s programs in an increasingly competitive marketplace.... My goal is to help enhance Duke’s presence and standing globally and ensure that all of Duke’s graduates are considered in the implementation of the strategy.”

Ali Saaem, fifth-year biomedical engineering candidate

Involvement: GPSC Community Affairs Coordinator, Duke-Durham Neighborhood Partnership, Duke Building Opportunities and Overtures in Science and Technology, member of Sigma Xi scientific research society, graduate student representative on the Board of Trustees Business and Finance Committee

What do you hope to accomplish if you are elected Young Trustee? “There are a couple of things that I would want to get done. Firstly, I want to make sure that all of the voices on campus are accounted for. There are issues related to career services that I feel very passionate about and I believe that Duke going forward needs to be a global leader... [while] also staying involved in the Duke community.”

Jennifer Snook, third-year MBA and Master of Environmental Management candidate

Involvement: Co-President of FuquaPride, Co-Founder and Co-President of MEM/MBA Club, Corporate Sustainability Fellow of the Duke Center for Energy, Development and the Global Environment

What do you hope to accomplish if you are elected Young Trustee? “Generally, to fulfill the role of representing the graduate and professional interests. To be a unique voice in the room and I think... right now there is a big push for interdisciplinary studies and I think that I could help provide insight to that as a former undergraduate [at Duke].”

Share and discuss “Meet the Graduate Young Trustee Finalists” on social media.