Grossman Goes the Distance in First MLS Contest

Jon Scheyer was not the only former Blue Devil to make his debut in a professional league Tuesday night.

Cole Grossman, who anchored the midfield for the men's soccer team this past fall, played in his first Major League Soccer game last night after the Columbus Crew selected him 28th overall in January's MLS SuperDraft.

Grossman played all 90 minutes for the Crew in their CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal matchup against Real Salt Lake. He was one of only two rookies to start for the Crew.

The teams went up against the bitter cold in Columbus and fought to a 0-0 draw. Grossman held down the defensive midfield and took a shot in the closing minutes that went wide of the mark. The Crew only managed one shot on goal as a team, but Real Salt Lake couldn't muster a single attempt on target.

Craig Merz of MLSsoccer.com reported today that an observer of the Crew's training camp had deemed Grossman too slow to play in the MLS. Merz, on the other hand, said Grossman did not look overmatched against Real Salt Lake, winners of the MLS Cup just two seasons ago.

Check back with the Blue Zone to see how Grossman performs in the second leg of the quarterfinal round, which will be held Tuesday March 1 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah.

Share and discuss “Grossman Goes the Distance in First MLS Contest” on social media.