Confident Singler ready for Hokies

Singler will be asked to continue producing on offense, while guarding Jeff Allen Saturday.

In Duke’s convincing victory over non-conference opponent Temple earlier this week, Kyle Singler reasserted his scoring prowess and totaled a game-high 28 points.

Finishing 10-for-19 from the field and a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line, the senior captain looked comfortable on the offensive end and seemed to have forgotten about his recent shooting woes.

And with the No. 1 Blue Devils (26-2, 12-1 in the ACC) returning to conference play this weekend, Singler has regained his offensive stride at an opportune time.

Saturday, Duke travels to take on conference foe Virginia Tech (18-8, 8-5) in Blacksburg, Va. at 9 p.m. as the Blue Devils look to extend their seven-game winning streak. Singler has fared well against the Hokies in his career, scoring 25 points in Duke’s 67-55 win last season.

For the reigning Final Four Most Outstanding Player, offensive success is tied to staying within the offense.

“I think most of it is just taking good shots,” Singler said Wednesday. “Most of the time when you do get out of rhythm and get into a slump it’s when you do take bad shots. I’ve just got to focus on taking better shots, especially from the perimeter.”

Luckily for Duke, Singler’s shooting struggles did not affect its record. Senior Nolan Smith assumed a more active role, leading the Blue Devils’ offense and solidifying his position as the ACC’s leading scorer with 21.4 points per game. Over the past nine games, Smith has averaged 24.2 points, including a career high 34-point performance against rival North Carolina on Feb. 9.

While Duke features the coveted tandem of Smith and Singler, Virginia Tech boasts its own senior duo in Malcolm Delaney and Jeff Allen.

Delaney, who led the conference in scoring last season and sits second behind Smith on the ACC scoring chart, averages 19.1 points per game while shooting an impressive 42.7 percent from behind the arc. The Hokie guard has exceptional range and a quick release, allowing him to shoot over taller defenders from the outside.

Complementing Delaney’s exceptional perimeter game, Allen has proven himself as a consistent double-double threat, amounting 13.8 points and 10.3 rebounds per contest. He possesses a wide repertoire of post moves and plays physically in the paint, ranking among the league’s leaders in offensive rebounding.

And while the Blue Devils hope Singler can build on his strong performance against Temple to pace his team on Saturday, it is his defensive tenacity that will prove invaluable guarding the likes of Allen and Delaney. Overshadowed by his offensive output, Singler’s defensive contributions on Wednesday were essential, as he shut down Owls’ standout Ramone Moore.

“Moore has been averaging 22 points a game and is their biggest threat offensively, and Kyle held him to eight points,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said after the game. “I think [Singler’s] as good defensively as anybody because he has the determination and the stick-to-it-iveness to defend.”

Singler will likely defend against Allen with Smith covering Delaney in what will be a matchup of two of the nation’s top senior duos. Much like his teammate, Smith has often had his offensive contributions often overshadow his ability to on-ball defend and force opposing team’s guards into committing turnovers.

Smith and Singler’s defense of the Hokies’ tandem, therefore, will be critical to reentering ACC play in stride.

“When we go up to Virginia Tech, we’re going to have to guard Delaney and stop Allen inside,” Smith said. “It’ll be a good one.”

Share and discuss “Confident Singler ready for Hokies” on social media.