Meet the Undergraduate Young Trustee finalists

Matthew Davis, Ben Getson and Michelle Sohn were chosen as the finalists for Young Trustee Saturday.

The Young Trustee Nominating Committee selected three finalists for the position Saturday night. The Young Trustee will be elected Feb. 15 by the undergraduate student body.

Matthew Davis, senior

Major: Biomedical Engineering

Involvement: Undergraduate representative to the Duke Student Publishing Company Board of Directors; former President of Wayne Manor

Why do you wish to serve as Young Trustee? “I love Duke and appreciate all it has done for me, I want to give back to it. I want to serve Duke and to make a lasting impact on the institution that has made such a lasting impact on my own life.”

Editor’s note: Davis serves as a voting member of the Duke Student Publishing Company Board of Directors, which publishes The Chronicle. This is his second year with the Board, his term ends in June 2011. He is not involved in the editorial processes of The Chronicle.

Ben Getson, senior

Major: Computer Science

Involvement: Senior policy adviser of Duke Student Government; Ubuntu member

Why do you wish to serve as Young Trustee? “I want the opportunity to learn from those that have everything to teach, and I am loathe to leave a place where I am constantly searching for ways I can improve myself and give back to the community. As the Young Trustee, I will do everything I can to work toward a bigger and better Duke.”

Michelle Sohn, senior

Major: English

Involvement: Former member of The Chronicle’s Editorial Board; Board of Trustees Undergraduate Education Committee member; Duke Student Government liaison for gender issues

Why do you wish to serve as Young Trustee? “I did not arrive at Duke as a scholar, I had never served on any sort of student government and I certainly did not think I would apply for a trusteeship.... This is why I wish to serve as Young Trustee: for the community that has given me a home and my expectation that Duke continues to strive in its path toward improved leadership and innovation.”

Share and discuss “Meet the Undergraduate Young Trustee finalists” on social media.