Duke women sweep weekend; men take match against Queens

Duke’s men topped Queens University, but fell 165-135 to South Carolina.

The swimming and diving teams opened their spring season with mixed results, with the men’s team beating Queens University of Charlotte 241-23 but falling to undefeated South Carolina 165-135 in the Taishoff Aquatics Pavilion. The women’s team swept the weekend, winning 160-140 over the Gamecocks and dusting the Royals 237-47.

The men’s team kept the match with the Gamecocks close, behind strong performances from the medley relay B-team, which collectively broke the school record in the 200-meter race with a time of 1:32.28. Also, in the 50-meter freestyle the Blue Devils took the top two spots, with sophomore Ben Hwang taking first followed by senior Nick Garvy. The divers continued to dominate, led by Nick McCrory, taking four of the top five spots in the one-meter.

The women’s squad remained undefeated, thanks to a bevy of solid results. Sophomore Cara Vogel took the top honors in the 100-meter backstroke, and finished second in the 200-meter backstroke behind teammate Meghan Dwyer. Diver Abby Johnston set a new pool record on the three-meter board with a 377.85, smashing the mark previously held by Olympic silver medalist Anastasia Pozdniakova. The Blue Devils will next face Virginia on Sunday, Jan. 23.

Share and discuss “Duke women sweep weekend; men take match against Queens” on social media.