College students value grades and compliments over sex

College students may value items and activities that build self-esteem—such as good grades or friendly compliments—over sex, according to a recent study by researchers at The Ohio State University.

The study, led by professor of communication and psychology Brad Bushman, found that students desire self-esteem building activities over any other pleasant activity asked about, including foods, alcoholic drinks, friends, paychecks, and even sex.

These results came from two separate studies, in which researchers had college students rank how much they wanted and liked various pleasant activities. According to Bushman, “self-esteem trumped all other rewards in the minds of these college students.”

According to the study, the “liking-wanting distinction” is somewhat low for these self-esteem activities. This distinction is essential in understanding the nature of addiction, as addicts tend to want the item of addiction more than they report liking the item. For example, a gambling addict will report a high desire to gamble, but will report a low enjoyment of gambling.

Although the “liking-wanting distinction” may be low, this self-esteem obsession is not yet at the level of addiction. Bushman states “it wouldn’t be correct to say the study participants were addicted to self-esteem.”

Regardless of “addiction” terminology and the “psychological implications” of the study, this presents college students with one alarming fact: we now want good grades more than sex.

Share and discuss “College students value grades and compliments over sex” on social media.