This week in Chronicle history: Nov. 29-Dec. 4, 1971

Welcome back! I hope you’re all at least several turkeys and a pumpkin pie heavier. Unless you’ve worked it all off during Black Friday shopping. I tried to get up at four, but decided that recharging in preparation for the next few weeks was more important.

I imagine the campus over Thanksgiving Break in 1971 was much the same as it was this year. A reflective article dated December 2 and titled, “Eat, Sleep and study; Duke for Thanksgiving,” noted that the hallways were much quieter without the usual influx of people. Unlike breaks nowadays, food at the “Union” was still available; if students got tired of it they sought the “Ivy Room.”

The few students who did stay on campus were committed to their work, to the apparent surprise of the school’s librarians. “One Women’s College Librarian did six double takes and dropped a book, ‘What are you doing here this early? Why aren’t you at home eating left over turkey or something?’”

This happened to me last year—the studying-in-the-library bit—but happily, this semester I was able to attend a family friend’s hale and hearty Thanksgiving dinner…as I hope most of you did.

Given this week’s (2010) basketball game with Michigan State, it’s relevant to note that on December 3 and 6, news was released that sophomore Dave Elmer quit his place in the basketball team. Elmer said he left because he wanted to be able to play.

“I like the school and I like the players, and I really have nothing personal against the coaches. But I won’t be happy at any school unless I can play basketball,” he said.

According to NCAA rules, however, if he left without the consent of the basketball program he wouldn’t be able to get a scholarship at the next school.The rules are as follows: “If a known student-athlete proposes to transfer from a four year collegiate institution holding NCAA membership, and the first institution declines to give permission… the second institution may not encourage the transfer and may not offer or provide financial assistance to the student-athlete” and “if the student-athlete proceeds to transfer to the second institution, it may not provide the transferee financial aid until he has attended the institution for one academic year.”

Duke athletic director Eddie Cameron “admitted that invoking this clause would be exerting a form of pressure.” According to Elmer, the current coach, Coach Bucky Waters, told him “it would teach [him] a lesson.” Waters was certainly displeased by Elmer’s intentions saying, “After working with us for six weeks he is now betraying his team and betraying his school.”

Elmer was the fifth basketball player to leave since January 1970, when Coach Waters replaced Coach Vic Bubas in March 1969. Jim Fitzsimmons (who went to Harvard), left after a season. He was the leading scorer of an undefeated freshman team. Don Blackman (Rhode Island), who won the Glenn Mann, Jr. Award for contributing most to team morale that season, left June 1970. Sam May (Washington State) left after one semester of freshman year, and Jeff Dawson (UIllinois), the spot starter of the previous year and another member of the undefeated freshman team, also left.

In other history, a section called “Dear Dr. Schoenfeld,” once ran in The Chronicle, in which a doctor, Eugene Schoenfeld, answered various questions regarding all sorts of bodily functions. I discovered one edition in the December 6 paper.

“Hey Doc—

We’re curious about something we heard and want you to verify it. Is it true that if you dip the fingers of a sleeping person in to a warm cup or water that he’ll empty his bladder right then and there?

ANSWER: Not always, but often enough so that it’s a common prank.”

“Dear Dr. Schoenfeld,

Since I’m an older grandmother I try to keep up with today’s generation by their letters to you. Recently you printed a question asking about cunnilingus during pregnancy.

I cannot find the word in my dictionaries. Will you please explain what cunnilingus means?

ANSWER: ‘licking of the vulva or clitoris’—Dorland’s Medical Dictionary, 23rd edition. Assuming both parties are disease-free, it’s not harmful during pregnancy—or before. But in most states cunnilingus is a felony crime.”

“Dear Dr. Schoenfeld,

I sweat profusely during sex. I have, of course, tried all commercially available antiperspirants, but to no avail.

So far, no one has seemed to care too much, but I still find it rather embarrassing. Can anything be done?

ANSWER: Members of my research staff who sleep on overheated waterbeds have noticed the same “problem.” Aside from referring you to the above letter I can tell you some people, male and female, just perspire more easily than others. Many couples purposely rub oils on their bodies to accomplish the same effect you produce naturally.

Since you’ve noticed no one seems to care too much why not just let things slide?”

Share and discuss “This week in Chronicle history: Nov. 29-Dec. 4, 1971” on social media.