Committee considers Spring concert on Central Campus

DUU members discussed questions regarding a possible concert on Central Campus this Spring.

Duke University Union members discussed the possibility of a Spring concert on Central Campus during their meeting Tuesday night.

For the show, the committee aims to bring in one main artist and two supporting artists.

Some committee members expressed concerns that the concert would be held too close to the Last Day of Classes celebration. However, others did not think this would dissuade students from attending, citing the popularity of the Kid Cudi and N.E.R.D. concert in April as evidence that timing would not negatively impact attendance.

Members also expressed concerns that students would be reluctant to attend a concert held on Central Campus, as it would be an inconvenience for students living on East and West campuses. However, members ultimately agreed that the concert would be an “experiment” worth trying.

“It’s important for us to explore other venues,” said Major Attractions Chair Karen Chen, a senior.

She also noted that it is difficult to plan attractions in spaces such as Page Auditorium because of their relatively low capacity numbers.

“We want to have this space where students can dance and have fun,” Chen said.

While LDOC caters to a more general audience, members discussed the possibility that the bands considered for the Spring concert would only cater to a niche audience. Whether this would be a positive or negative factor, however, is unclear.

Additionally, DUU members discussed and approved a proposal for the president and the executive vice president positions to be elected before all other executive committee positions.

Currently, only the president is elected first, and then the new president and the outgoing executive vice president sit in on interviews for the other committee positions.

The new rules state that the president and the executive vice president are elected first so that the two can sit in on the other interviews. Members said they hoped the two would have the chance to discuss goals for the next year and determine the types of committee members they are looking for before the interviews.

Share and discuss “Committee considers Spring concert on Central Campus” on social media.