Inconsistent Eagles bring shaky QBs

Abraham Kromah and the rest of the Blue Devils have stayed away from saying they are strongly for or against the cancellation of Tailgate.

Boston College’s streak of 11 straight bowl game appearances seems to be in jeopardy. Currently holding a 4-5 record, the Eagles must win two of their last three regular season games in order to obtain postseason eligibility.

Boston College sits in this unfamiliar position primarily because of inconsistency at quarterback—the team has featured three different signal callers throughout the season. Freshman Chase Rettig replaced opening-day starter Dave Shinskie and backup Mike Marscovetra permanently after a crushing 44-17 loss against N.C. State five weeks ago.

Over his last four starts, however, Rettig has averaged a measly 12 completions and 138 yards per game while throwing just two touchdowns and five interceptions. The Eagles’ dismal passing attack is the main reason the team averages only 19.2 points per game, last in the ACC.

With Boston College’s weak passing game and an offensive line that has given up 24 sacks, look for head coach David Cutcliffe to turn up the defensive pressure against the Eagles. While the Blue Devils’ top pass-rushing weapons, defensive end Patrick Egboh and nose guard Charlie Hatcher, have combined for only 2.5 sacks, the duo will try to cause a disturbance in the back field on Saturday.

“We’re not rushing the passer very well,” Cutcliffe said. “We would love to get [to the quarterback] some more…. Last ballgame, I thought [Virginia quarterback Marc] Verica, when we could get near him or in his face, was very average.”

Stopping Boston College running back Montel Harris, however, should be considerably more difficult for Duke’s defense. The 5-foot-10, 200-lb junior has already amassed 1,020 yards and punched in six touchdowns. Harris is coming off a remarkable performance in the Eagles’ 23-13 victory at Wake Forest last weekend in which he rushed for 183 yards and three scores.

“He’s not a big guy, but he just makes people miss, and he’s stronger than you might think,” Cutcliffe said. “He’s got tremendous lower body strength, and he never lets his feet stop. [There are] no flush blows on him.”

Boston College’s powerful running attack could open up opportunities for play action passing, which could help the Eagles’ struggling passing game, Cutcliffe warned.

“It takes a lot of energy and commitment by your players to stop outstanding running teams,” the coach said. “If you commit or read run, as they do a great job selling that, then you find yourself in trouble. People who are pass-first in responsibility have to remain pass-first.”

On the defensive side of the ball, Boston College has done a solid job thus far this season, forcing 26 turnovers and limiting scoring opportunities. The Eagles’ defensive unit has held opponents to a 22 points per game average, an impressive figure given the multiple high-octane offenses in the ACC this season. Preseason All-American Luke Kuechly, who leads Boston College with 125 total tackles including nine for a loss, will surely be a destructive force against the Blue Devil defensive.

Despite the threats of Kuechly and Harris, Duke feels it is prepared for the Eagles and is ready to continue its fight to finish the season bowl eligible—and in the process, further hinder Boston College’s postseason chances.

“We’re going to remain resilient,” Cutcliffe said. “We’re going to believe in each other. With that there is great strength. There are plenty of fights left to fight.”

Share and discuss “Inconsistent Eagles bring shaky QBs” on social media.