Harry Potter Sound-Off

Petrificus Totalus! Accio, movie tickets!

As the world prepares for the premiere of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1” at midnight Nov. 19, many Duke students have their wands at the ready. The film chronicles the first half of the series’ seventh and last book and is the second to last film in the series, with “Part 2” premiering June 2011. Southpoint Cinema’s midnight showings are already sold out. The Chronicle’s Nicole Kyle spoke with students and even Quidditch players to get a sense of the Duke community’s anticipation.

“It’s hard to answer. It was just one of those escapes. I remember when I was in third or fourth grade carrying a stick around and shouting out spells at people as they walk by.”

— freshman Cameron Kim, main referee of the Duke Quidditch Team, on why he loves Harry Potter

“It should be interesting to see how the pace of the story changes as compared to previous films, given that they are splitting this final book into two. I don’t know if I’ll make it out this weekend but it’s definitely on my agenda for fun this holiday.”

— Heather Mitchell-Buck, a lecturing fellow in the Department of English

“I’m interested to see how [filmmakers] will do the scenery since so much of the story isn’t at Hogwarts!”

—sophomore Hannah Hayward

“I’m very excited. All of the [Quidditch] team is dressing up and camping out at the theater starting at 4 p.m. It’s just a lot of fun to hang out with people who are so into the books.”

— sophomore Rebecca Kuzemchak, a Beater on the Duke Quidditch Team

“I really love the character development and the dynamics between the different characters. I’m excited for the movie because it’s always cool to see how they fit so much into one [film] and how the creative ideas of the director makes the book come to life.”

— sophomore Chrissy Barnum

“I’m going to see Harry Potter with a big group of friends from my [selective living group] and my pre-orientation program as a really nice sort of reunion event. Harry Potter is sort of the epitome of our childhood and a way to experience our childhood with people.”

— sophomore Nathan Nye

“I went to the fifth movie at midnight and the film actually broke and we were all dressed up and had to walk away sadly. So, I think I’m just going to go not dressed up, you know, in case something bad happens.”

— senior Annie Kozak

“I’m kind of sad about [the film] because I can’t go. But, I am flying to Europe, so I guess I’m not that sad.”

— junior Brett Schroeder

Share and discuss “Harry Potter Sound-Off” on social media.