Group discusses range of campus dessert options

Members of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee sampled desserts from various campus eateries and evaluated the options available to students based on several criteria.

There’s nothing quite like a tasty dessert.

Junior Jane Moore led a tasting and evaluation of dessert options on campus at the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee meeting Monday night. The group sampled desserts from The Loop, the Refectory, Bella Union, the Great Hall, Alpine Bagels and The Perk.

Moore’s presentation identified campus eateries’ desserts based on taste, price and nutritional value. She then selected the best and worst desserts in a number of different categories, including bar, cake, cookie, pastry, muffin and frozen delight. The whole wheat apple muffin from Bella Union and The Loop’s lava cake were recognized as two of Duke’s best desserts.

In addition to sampling a number of the desserts, Moore discussed the pricing of food items with DUSDAC members. She called The Perk’s cookies overpriced—listing them as a ‘borderline outrageous’ on her handout—but added that she believes Bella Union, the Great Hall and Alpine Bagels offer fair prices.

Although milkshakes from The Loop are among Duke students’ favorite treats, Moore pointed out that one milkshake contains 1,300 calories, or the equivalent of six Subway cookies.

“It has more calories than a meal,” said Franca Alphin, director of nutrition services at Student Health.

In other business:

Sophomore Amir Abdu said The Greek Devil is interested in opening up a new cart on the plaza with organic fresh fruits and roasted nuts. Abdu said it would be run by the owner’s wife, right next to her husband’s cart. The Greek Devil is also expanding its menu after winter break, with new items such as falafel.

Students also discussed the possibility of using leftover food points at the end of semesters to buy gift cards at vendors for future use. Wulforst called it a “great idea” and said it would be worth looking into.

Share and discuss “Group discusses range of campus dessert options” on social media.