A freshman experience: Cameron's student section

Generic Script

By now, almost every freshman has attended their first men’s basketball game inside Cameron Indoor Stadium. For those of you who are yet to participate—I think it is fair to say that the student section in Cameron is more participation than observation—in a game, I would recommend going as soon as possible.

Sure, you may have heard about the hours of waiting outside before a game. Yes, the student section is somewhat cramped and you may have to turn sideways to fit everyone in. And yes, by the end of the game your feet and legs will be too sore to stand for the bus ride to East Campus, and you may not have your voice back for three days.

Yet, these are things that make the experience unique, that make it something worth waiting for hours, days and sometimes months. That, and the fact that we have outscored opponents by more than 120 points total in the three regular season games.

The game itself is something you have to see in person to fully comprehend. Imagine the most crowded basketball game you went to in high school, increase the density of people, the level of emotion, and the skill of the players and throw in some good old fashioned psychological warfare from the fans.

For me, the height of the experience comes when Duke plays exceptionally dominant for a few minutes. Say, for example, Duke hits two three-point shots in a row, steals the ball twice and then caps it off with an alley-oop. The energy level is unbelievable; you shout at the top of your lungs yet cannot distinguish your voice from the massive crowd around you.

This is just a brief glimpse into the experience of the Duke University Men’s Basketball student section. Once again, I would like to exhort any who have for whatever reason not made it to a game yet to attend as soon and as often as possible. It is something you need to do, and something you will never forget.

Besides, you can never truly understand Crazy Towel Guy unless you invoke him yourself.

Share and discuss “A freshman experience: Cameron's student section” on social media.