Eggers speaks about human rights violations

Dave  Eggers, an accomplished author and human rights advocate, spoke at this year’s Weaver Memorial Lecture in Page Auditorium Wednesday.
Dave Eggers, an accomplished author and human rights advocate, spoke at this year’s Weaver Memorial Lecture in Page Auditorium Wednesday.

Yesterday evening author David Eggers addressed violations of human rights during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the main subject of his book, “Zeitoun.”

He collected narratives from those affected by Katrina—one of which gave rise to his bestseller—as a part of Voice of Witness, a nonprofit book series co-founded by Eggers that documents human rights crises and social injustices.

“We are never more human, we are never more alive and sure of our purpose on the planet than when someone needs help,” Eggers told students in Page Auditorium. “We were starting to hear about human rights abuses in the wake of the storm, and it just made sense [to collect these narratives].”

“Zeitoun” describes the experiences of a Syrian-born immigrant named Abdulrahman Zeitoun during the turmoil caused by the hurricane. After the storm swept through his neighborhood, Zeitoun used a canoe to help his community, saving several of his neighbors and their pets.

His efforts to help were short-lived, however, as he was arrested for unclear reasons and placed in a makeshift prison behind the Greyhound station in New Orleans. While in prison, Zeitoun was denied his basic rights, was not allowed to see a lawyer and could not make a single phone call.

Eggers said this violation of human rights was not an isolated incident.

“This was a moment in American history when we could have done better,” Eggers said. “We learned a lot about ourselves, about our reaction, our response, how we could have improved it in the wake of Katrina.”

He noted that many of the issues in dealing with Katrina could have been solved by simple communication.

“A lot of the news and information that we were getting and the rumors that were being spread in the wake of Katrina were not valid,” Eggers added. “We made assumptions of the people of New Orleans without listening.”

Despite his opinions surrounding the numerous failures and missteps in the response to Katrina, Eggers said he remains hopeful. He said the Zeitoun family received overwhelming support from hundreds of Americans after the release of the book.

Many felt a sense of personal responsibility for Zeitoun’s mistreatment while in prison. In an e-mail sent to the Zeitoun family, Tammy Stewart, a woman from Texas, apologized on behalf of her country saying, “I am so sorry for the persecution that you endured.”

Eggers said he gained hope from such responses and believes that everyone has a deep sense of decency.

Audience members also expressed similar sentiments after hearing Eggers speak.

“I was inspired, I was challenged,” said Barbara Williams, Trinity ’74. “I wish his voice were louder and more a part of a larger national dialogue.”

Tony Zeoli, lead developer of the Reese Felts Digital Newsroom at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, expressed his appreciation for how Eggers delivered his lecture.

“I liked his temperate tone and the way that he could have showed anger because he’s seen so much,” he said. “It was nice to hear somebody say things are OK in America.”

Eggers concluded his talk by giving the audience a simple piece of advice.

“One, listen. Two, have faith. Three, take action. Four, stay human.”

Share and discuss “Eggers speaks about human rights violations” on social media.