Cavaliers gain momentum from Miami upset

It would’ve been rare to find a preseason prognostication that placed any importance on the matchup between Duke and Virginia this weekend.

Indeed, even the standings don’t promise a quality game, as the two teams battle for last place in the ACC’s Coastal Division. But both teams scored critical victories last week—Duke getting its first win over an FBS opponent, and Virginia upsetting No. 22 Miami—and will look to keep rolling through this week’s game.

“Virginia comes in here a very hot football team, on a two-game winning streak that’s certainly not an accident,” head coach David Cutcliffe said.

Virginia’s offense pivots around quality talent at the three key skill positions. Senior quarterback Marc Verica has racked up 200 or more passing yards in five of eight contests this season and tallied a solid 124.6 quarterback rating on the year. Still, he hasn’t been perfect, as much of his production has come against weaker opponents. He’s thrown six of his nine touchdowns in three blowouts against Richmond, VMI and Eastern Michigan. He was benched in the team’s October 16 loss to North Carolina after throwing three interceptions, and he’ll still likely feel some heat from talented freshman backup Michael Rocco Saturday.

Verica’s favorite target is junior Kris Burd, who enjoyed an incredible start to the season—three 100-yard games, 384 total yards and four touchdowns—before cooling off considerably, with just 198 yards and no scores in four games since. Senior Dontrelle Inman, whose 355 receiving yards rank second on the team, will look to bounce back as well after just 30 receiving yards in the last three games. The Cavaliers’ receiving attack was weakened when senior tight end Joe Torchia had season-ending shoulder surgery October 13, after he had hauled in nine passes for 113 yards in the team’s first four games.

With the receivers’ production down of late, senior running back Keith Payne has stepped in to fill the void, scoring seven touchdowns in his last four games. He hasn’t been as productive in the yards department with just two games over 100 yards rushing, but he has still racked up 12 touchdowns on the year.

“They’re a very balanced team offensively. They can run it, they can throw it,” Cutcliffe said.

As the Blue Devils’ defense works to stop those weapons, the special teams coverage will have to be wary of the ACC’s top kick returner Raynard Horne, who has returned a kickoff for a touchdown and averaged almost 27 yards per return.

On defense, the Cavaliers will look to get a continued spark from defensive lineman John-Kevin Dolce, whose fierce hit on Miami quarterback Jacory Harris last week knocked Harris out of the game and left him with a concussion. Cornerback Chase Minnifield leads a pass defense that ranks second in the ACC; Minnifield’s two interceptions last week brought him into a tie for the national lead with six.

First-year head coach Mike London has done an admirable job leading Virginia to a 4-4 start. London has found roles for many players that were marginalized under former head coach Al Groh. Payne, for instance, had quit the team and intended to transfer after Groh dropped him to fourth on the running back depth chart before last year’s first game. He is just one of several players who have shined for Virginia after having been relegated to special teams duty or the bench under Groh. The win over Miami last week was the Cavaliers’ first upset of a ranked opponent since October 2008. With a .500 record entering play this weekend, London’s team maintains bowl hopes, and London could find himself winning Coach of the Year accolades if he pulls off that feat.

Indeed, Virginia’s continued aspirations for a three-game winning streak and a bowl bid after last week’s stunning upset will contribute strongly to its momentum, which could very well be the deciding factor in a game that features two inconsistent football teams.

And while the numbers may not make the significance of this game apparent, each team knows how critical a win at this juncture could be.

Share and discuss “Cavaliers gain momentum from Miami upset” on social media.