‘Championship-level’ Duke takes on Boston College

Last weekend saw No.13 Duke perform at a standard which head coach Beth Bozman described as “championship level.” Even at this level, then-No.1 North Carolina managed to squeeze out a narrow win, leaving the Blue Devils (5-5, 0-2 in the ACC) without an ACC victory.

This weekend, Duke hopes to finally get that first conference win.

Two teams from Boston visit Durham this weekend—ACC rival No. 12 Boston College (6-4, 0-2) Saturday, and No.11 Boston University (6-3) Sunday, with each game starting at 1 p.m.

Bozman said that the team has been working on its finishing. It has been a struggle for the Blue Devils throughout the season and they aim to get the complete package needed to succeed.

“We played the best hockey that Duke Field Hockey has ever had in a long time [against North Carolina],” Bozman said. “We had possession time, shots … everything right except the finish.”

The first game of the weekend against the Eagles pits two closely-ranked ACC opponents, with both aiming to record their first conference win. Bozman acknowledged Boston College as a strong opponent, but feels that Duke’s stronger schedule, in which the Blue Devils have played against seven ranked opponents, will be a major factor during the game.

The non-conference game against Boston University may not be as significant, but Bozman will not be taking the Terriers lightly. The coach has said that she will focus on her team, and not the competition, whoever that may be.

The Blue Devils will again look to freshman Emmie Le Marchand and senior Susan Ferger for their goals. They share the team lead with three goals apiece.

With nice weather being forecasted over the weekend, Bozman is looking forward to seeing her team in action in their penultimate weekend at home. Duke plays on the road until it returns for the last game of the regular season October 30 against Virginia.

“This should be a good way to end the home run,” she said. “But we’d play them anywhere … the most important thing is to come out on top come Sunday.”

Share and discuss “‘Championship-level’ Duke takes on Boston College” on social media.