The case for doing good in the neighborhood

The case for the Doing Good in the Neighborhood employee giving campaign is being made everyday in every department at the University and throughout the health care system. The civic engagement, the social innovation projects, the generous hours given by Duke tutors and mentors in our schools and the many volunteers in the health care system, all give witness to Duke University being engaged with Durham City and County as well as this region of North Carolina.

More than three years ago, President Brodhead and our Board of Trustees created a new vice presidency—the Office of Durham and Regional Affairs. Durham and the region now have a seat at the table among senior leadership at Duke. This new office symbolizes, in the person of vice president Dr. Phail Wynn, the on-going importance of Duke to Durham and Durham to Duke.

The Doing Good in the Neighborhood campaign provides Duke employees with an exciting opportunity to recapture the Duke spirit of community-based philanthropy. Everyone is now given the option of “making a difference” in Durham and beyond. Under the banner of Doing Good in the Neighborhood, giving opportunities abound at Duke and through the United Way of the Greater Triangle.

What is the vision behind this appeal to give? It is all about the community in which we live, the community we love and want to see thrive and grow as the best-kept secret in North Carolina. This is a moment filled with opportunities.

• We have an opportunity to build a community that calls our Duke students to a higher level of civic engagement and citizenship so that they can participate in helping make Durham a better place to live for all.

• We have an opportunity to build a community that motivates, inspires and cares for children from cradle to college so that they can learn and hope for a better future.

• We have an opportunity to build a community that supports subsidies for home ownership and encourages neighborhood growth and development.

• We have an opportunity to build a community that creates and sustains social innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit.

• We have an opportunity to erect an education architecture and infrastructure that recognizes education as essential to advancement.

• We have an opportunity to cherish the value of diversity in our community so that our differences enrich rather than divide.

When so many others are focused on problems and limitations, Duke employees have an unparalleled opportunity to share in creating a future filled with promise and hope. We invite all Duke employees to join in the Doing Good in the Neighborhood campaign:

• by making a pledge at doinggood.duke.edu and

• by volunteering in the Durham community with a Duke community partner (For more information, visit community.duke.edu/campaigns/volunteer/index.php).

Come join us in Doing Good in the Neighborhood!

Sam Miglarese is the director of community engagement for the Office of Community Affairs.

Share and discuss “The case for doing good in the neighborhood” on social media.