SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Blue Devils take on ACC doormat

In a statement game against Davidson Tuesday, Duke’s offense finally clicked on all cylinders. Riding this momentum, the No. 19 Blue Devils (5-2-3, 1-2-1 in the ACC) look to match N.C. State’s offensive firepower tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Raleigh.

“We’re obviously more intense going into an ACC game rather than a Tuesday night game,” sophomore forward Ryan Finley said. “This game on Friday is huge for us. We’re definitely going to bring the intensity.”

A motivated Finley could pose a serious problem for the Wolfpack (5-5-0, 0-4-0)—which possess the worst defense in the conference. Through ten games, N.C. State has allowed 19 goals, good for a 1.90 goals against average. Finley, by himself, averages one goal per game.

“Whether he’s scoring or not, he’s a dangerous threat,” head coach John Kerr said. “Teams have to be aware of him and allow other guys space on our team to operate in the final third. Every team wants a guy like Ryan Finley wreaking havoc and scoring goals.”

Despite the individual recognition he is receiving, Finley stresses that his personal accolades are a reflection of his teammates’ strong play. He noted his satisfaction with Duke’s play recently, and was particularly proud of its resilient effort against Davidson Tuesday, despite the team’s tough 2-0 loss to Maryland before it faced the Wildcats.

“After our loss against Maryland… some people might have thought we should have won that game,” Finley said. “There are two ways we could have come out of that game. We could have come out on Tuesday… and had a bad game, but I think it shows a lot about our team that we came out and had a dominating performance. It could definitely be a turning point in the season.”

Although N.C. State is known for its defensive inefficiencies, the offensive unit leads the ACC with 2.40 goals per game and 2.60 assists per game. Unlike Duke’s attack, which features the hot-footed Finley, the Wolfpack is known for its balanced offense that has five players who have scored three or more goals.

“We just have to be sharp... and make sure their weapons are neutralized,” Kerr said. “We just have to come to play.”

After their game Friday, the Blue Devils will finish out the season against six straight unranked opponents, three of them outside the conference. Duke, with its recent strong play, has a legitimate chance to run the table the rest of season and enter the ACC Tournament riding a large wave of confidence.

“We’ve made some huge strides since the beginning of the season,” Kerr said. “We’re still altering the lineup here and there, mostly due to injuries. But we’re getting there. We’re really improving every day. And that was the goal throughout the season­—to improve every day.”

Share and discuss “Blue Devils take on ACC doormat” on social media.