MOP favorite moves to West Village, changes name

Cinelli’s Ristorante, an off-East Campus student favorite, has changed its name and its location. It is now 604 West Morgan Italian Eatery, and students will have to venture to West Village to enjoy the food in house.

Although Cinelli’s has changed its name and location, it is still aiming to satisfy the appetites of Duke students.

The Italian restaurant, now called 604 West Morgan Italian Eatery, has moved from its original location adjacent to East Campus and next to Whole Foods to the West Village location that was previously home to Tosca Ristorante Italiano.

Although still part of the Merchants on Points program, Cinelli’s is no longer a short walk from East. Some devoted Cinelli’s fans among the Duke student body are annoyed at the prospect of having to make the longer trek.

“Cinelli’s was a great place to get food near campus, but now it’s so frustrating that they moved kind of far away,” said sophomore Alyssa Ogle.

Cinelli’s management, however, said they had little choice in the move.

“Our lease had expired, and though we wanted to renew it, they wanted to give our space to Whole Foods so they could expand. I guess they wanted to turn the whole place into a Whole Foods complex,” said owner Gaetano Cinelli.

Cinelli added that the transition was a challenge, especially given the short time frame—the restaurant had about five weeks from shutting down the old location July 18 to opening the new restaurant Aug. 29. But the restaurant has used the new location to create a new dining experience.

“We now have two concepts going. There’s 604 West Morgan Italian Eatery, which is more upscale, and the more traditional Cinelli’s as well,” Cinelli said.

Cinelli is not the only person affiliated with the restaurant excited about the new location and concept. His staff, too, said the change of venue has afforded a number of new opportunities.

“We have more complex flavors and a new city chic atmosphere in addition to the traditional family restaurant,” said general manager Clarissa Kussin. “We also have a bigger space for Duke students to host parties.”

Cinelli noted that some of the restaurant’s costs, like rent, have increased since the move. Although Cinelli said he anticipates the bigger space will allow him to appeal to a broader consumer audience, he added that he has some concerns about the numbers of Duke students frequenting his restaurant.

Some customers, like Durham resident Milton Bearfoot, said they will remain loyal to the restaurant even after the move.

“I’ve been a regular here for 10 years,” he said. “My doctor put me on a strict diet, eating the same thing everyday, which would be hard for anyone to follow, [but] they make this wonderful meal here [to satisfy those requirements].”

Bearfoot, who said he is familiar with many Duke students, hopes the venue will still attract members of the University’s community.

“I know a lot of Duke students and parents liked Cinelli’s, and, in the new location, it’s still very inviting,” he said.

Cinelli said there has certainly been a dropoff of Duke students visiting the restaurants, but added that he hopes business among students will pick up as students discover the restaurant’s new location.

Share and discuss “MOP favorite moves to West Village, changes name” on social media.