The independent news organization of Duke University

Missed chances hurt Duke

Duke  topped Old Dominion in shots and penalty corners Sunday, but the Blue Devils were still unable to come out on top.
Duke topped Old Dominion in shots and penalty corners Sunday, but the Blue Devils were still unable to come out on top.

On a day where the theme seemed to be missed opportunities, No. 9 Duke lost a close game to Old Dominion 2-1 Sunday at Jack Katz Stadium.

The Monarchs (2-6) struck first, scoring in the 38th minute off a long corner and taking a 1-0 lead after a scoreless first half. They then went up 2-0 at the 55:11 mark but held the two-goal lead for only a minute as Blue Devils junior Rhian Jones scored Duke’s only goal off a penalty corner shot in the 56th minute.

It would be the only goal the Blue Devils (4-4, 0-1 in the ACC) scored all day, despite a plethora of opportunities. On two separate occasions in the second half, the team had three straight penalty corners resulting in zero goals. Duke had an overall advantage on penalty corners (14-6) as well as in shots (9-5).

The inability of the Blue Devils to capitalize on scoring opportunities gave Old Dominion its second road victory over a ranked team this year. Senior midfielder Loran Hatch attributed greatly to the win, scoring both of The Monarchs goals.

The loss was Duke’s second of the weekend after a tough 3-1 loss Saturday at home to No. 10 Ohio State.

The Blue Devils will return to ACC action this Saturday at 1 p.m., hosting rival North Carolina at Jack Katz Stadium.

Share and discuss “Missed chances hurt Duke” on social media.