Hays officially undertakes two-year term as dean of the Divinity School

After welcoming freshmen to Duke at last week’s convocation ceremony, President Richard Brodhead ushered in someone with a little more Duke experience Tuesday.

Richard Hays—who has been at Duke since leaving the faculty of Yale University in 1991—will serve as the interim dean of the Divinity School, and was welcomed to his position Tuesday.

“We’re extremely lucky to have Richard Hays—he’s a famous scholar and a powerful preacher,” Brodhead said. “He’s a person of great judgment and generosity and I think he’ll be a fantastic leader for the Divinity School.”

Hays, who is the George Washington Ivey Professor of New Testament at the Divinity School, officially began his duties as dean July 1 and will serve a two-year term as the school continues to search for a permanent replacement for former dean Gregory Jones. Jones is now serving as vice president and vice provost for global strategy and programs.

After formally accepting the post, Hays delivered a well-received speech to a crowded congregation. With several first-year Divinity School students on hand, Hays encouraged determination and preparation as students begin their studies. Several faculty members and students were on hand to witness the ceremony, which took place in the Duke Chapel.

During an address in the ceremony, Hays delivered a message of sacrifice. He told those in attendance that whether they are going to follow Jesus on the road to Jerusalem or embark on serious Christian study, they must be prepared to pay a price.

Dean Hays is an internationally respected theologian, well known for his published work of a book covering biblical ethics, “The Moral Vision of the New Testament.”

Chris Brady, director of the Office of Student Life and Formation, said after the ceremony that he was thrilled to welcome Hays as the new dean.

“We’re very excited about the new dean,” Brady said. “We expect that he is going to set a grand vision for the school moving forward. He is an esteemed scholar nationally and internationally and I think as all things, we lament from the ending of a previous dean whom we esteemed and admired and loved, but we welcome in Dean Hays, who is one of ours and we know that he has some big things in store for the school,” Brady said.

First-year Divinity student Jeff Nelson embraced Hays’ humor and was impressed by his words.

“This is my first year, and based on the orientation, I’m looking very forward to Hays’ term, as I’m sure he will define what it truly means to be a Divinity School,” Nelson said.

The convocation and installation of the new dean concluded with a concert and reception at the Divinity School later in the day.

Share and discuss “Hays officially undertakes two-year term as dean of the Divinity School” on social media.