SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke readies for Classic

Sophomore defender Andrew Wenger looks to shut down the Louisville offense tonight.

Duke’s challenging early season schedule commences this weekend as the Blue Devils play host to the third annual Duke/Nike Classic. Despite going winless in the preseason, No. 11 Duke expects strong performances against No. 20 Louisville tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Koskinen Stadium and Sacramento State Sunday at 2:30 p.m.

While three preseason losses may seem atypical for such a highly-ranked team, head coach John Kerr is not at all concerned about his Blue Devils.

“We purposely scheduled three tough [preseason] games because our season ahead is going to be very difficult,” Kerr said. “Results don’t matter.”

What has mattered over the past two weeks is Duke’s development and maturation. Four freshman including Jonathan Aguirre, who was recently named one of the Top 100 Freshmen to Watch by College Soccer News, join the starting unit. By focusing on building team chemistry more so than results, the youthful Blue Devils seem ready to perform up to their ability this weekend against two NCAA tournament teams from last year.

“We now feel comfortable with what kind of lineup we’re going to have and where people are going be, and that’s what the preseason is for,” Kerr said.

Like last year, though, Duke will rely heavily on Preseason All-American senior Cole Grossman and reigning ACC Freshman of the Year Andrew Wenger.

Grossman looks to lead a high-powered offensive unit and create chances against the Cardinals and Hornets while Wenger will roam the backline acting as the defensive anchor.

“The leadership of Cole up front and in the midfield and Wenger now being a sophomore and a really important player for us absolutely are crucial for us,” Kerr said.

Against Louisville, Wenger and fellow center back senior Christian Ibeagha will have the large responsibility of keeping junior Colin Rolfe, who netted 10 goals last year on the way to a first-team All-Big East selection, under control.

“[Louisville] is talented. They got [Rolfe] up front who’s going to cause a lot of problems for us. We have to be aware of him and work extremely hard for each other and we just have to be prepared,” Kerr said.

With the help of veteran leadership and sound preparation, the Blue Devils will look to go on the attack against both Louisville and Sacramento State. Kerr stressed the importance of having the correct mentality and making the most of home field advantage.

Interestingly, Duke was once the home of both Louisville and Sacramento State’s head coaches. Louisville head coach Ken Lolla, Duke ’83, was a two-time All-American and served as an assistant coach for his alma mater in 1985. A year later, Hornet head coach Michael Linenberger, Duke ’87, co-captained the Blue Devils to their first national championship—along with Kerr.

Regardless of Lolla’s and Linenberger’s Duke affiliations, do not expect Kerr and his team to back down.

“We have to take the game to them and force the issue,” Kerr said. “We want to attack them. We want to score goals.”

Share and discuss “Duke readies for Classic” on social media.