SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Campbell continues domination

Sophomore Tara Campbell has emerged as one of the ACC’s premier goalkeepers this season.

One can only imagine how Duke would have fared last year had it not been for the brilliant play of then-freshman goalkeeper Tara Campbell. Although the Blue Devils suffered an unexpected nine loses in 2009, Campbell still managed to lead her injury-riddled team to a NCAA Tournament berth.

Along the way, she happened to set the Duke single season saves record, post a .807 save percentage and be named to the All-ACC second team and All-ACC freshman team.

In frightening news for Campbell’s opponents, the now-sophomore seems to have gotten even better. Seven games into the 2010 campaign, Campbell has already recorded five shutouts, only one less than her 2009 total. More notably, the goalkeeper has shut out opponents in four straight games.

“Tara is in a great groove right now,” head coach Robbie Church said. “She has really connected in with our back players. We are very fortunate. [She’s] one of the best goalkeepers in the country.”

Coming off a 0-0 tie against Florida International last Friday, Campbell made a huge stop Sunday against Yale to preserve a 1-0 victory. After a defensive lapse afforded a breakaway for the Bulldogs, Campbell rushed off her line and rejected Yale of a game-tying score.

“[That save] was so important [because] the team and the coaches knew, ‘Hey I’m still back here if we make a mistake, I can clean things up,’” Church said. “That’s the job of a goalkeeper, and she does that very well.”

Beyond her performance Sunday, Church is particularly impressed with Campbell’s continued development. The head coach noted that many players don’t take the jump Campbell has taken between their freshman and sophomore years. Some of the success, Campbell said, has to do with the return of goaltending coach Nathan Kipp, who is taking time off from his position with the Chicago Red Stars to return to Duke.

“[Kipp and I] have really been breaking down some more technical aspects of the game,” Campbell said. “I’m just much more comfortable having a year of experience under my belt.”

Her improving abilities will be put to the utmost test tonight, however, as the No. 15 Blue Devils (5-1-1) square off against No. 5 Florida (6-0) at 8:45 p.m. in Koskinen Stadium in the Duke Nike Classic. Last Friday, the Gators defeated No. 10 Florida State 2-1 in overtime on a goal by star sophomore McKenzie Barney. The striker’s five goals this season have contributed to Florida’s 16-2 scoring differential.

While Barney leads the Gators’ offensive onslaught, Church is more wary of the diverse nature of Florida’s attack.

“They have multi-threats. Their top four are really good, really interchangeable, and come at you from different angles,” he said. “Defensively... we’re going to have our hands full.”

Should the Gators get through Duke’s talented back four, though, Church seemed confident that Campbell will again come up big for the Blue Devils.

“We know if things go wrong they’re going to have to have a heck of a shot to score a goal against her,” Church said.

Interestingly, Campbell might not even be the best goalkeeper on the field tonight. Florida senior Katie Fraine is a First Team All-ACC player who has a similar game to Campbell—both are known for kicking the long ball—although the veteran Fraine has statistically outplayed Duke’s keeper thus far in 2010. Fraine currently has a .35 goals against average and a .905 save percentage, both of which top Campbell’s numbers of .48 and .885.

“Both of them have great kicks. Both them are going to play with their feet,” Church said. “So you can see them having a little goalies’ war back and forth with their kicks.”

Whether or not a war breaks out, do not expect Campbell and her teammates to back down.

“We’ve heard they’re one of the most competitive teams [Florida’s] ever had, so we know we have to play a very competitive game,” sophomore defender Libby Jandl said. “It doesn’t matter who the team we’re playing is, we just need to worry about ourselves.”

After its marquee match-up with Florida tonight, Duke will finish off the Duke Nike Classic with a game against Middle Tennessee State at 2:30 p.m. Sunday.

Share and discuss “Campbell continues domination” on social media.