NCAA investigating UNC football for rules violations, sources say

The NCAA was at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill this week to investigate members of an athletic team, UNC Athletic Director Dick Baddour said in a statement Thursday. He declined to specify which athletic team.

“I can acknowledge that representatives from the NCAA have been to Chapel Hill to speak with some of our student-athletes. However, they have instructed us to maintain the confidence of this review by not discussing it publicly,” Baddour said.

The Associated Press confirmed with an unnamed source that the athletes under investigation are on the University's football team.

ESPN.com reported Thursday that the NCAA is probing the athletes about rule violations, asking about agents, gifts and benefits. Another unnamed source reportedly said the organization asked all projected NFL draft picks at the university to provide phone records to cross-check agents they had spoken with, and asked them about travel and rent payments.

UNC is expected to be ranked in the preseason Top 25 and vie for the Atlantic Coast Conference's Coastal Division title. The Tar Heels' season opener is scheduled for Sept. 4 against LSU in Atlanta.

Share and discuss “NCAA investigating UNC football for rules violations, sources say” on social media.