Woman shot and killed at Duke Health Center clinic in North Durham identified

Updated 12:57 p.m. May 5, 2010

A woman was shot and killed at a Duke Health Center clinic Tuesday afternoon.

The victim has been identified as Charlene King, a 49 year-old phlebotomist at the clinic. She was shot and killed by a man who entered the building at 3116 N. Duke St. at 2:51 p.m. Tuesday and fired several shots, according to a Durham Police Department news release.

About 40 minutes after the shooting, officers confronted a man at the intersection of Broad and Carver Streets. The male suspect was shot during the confrontation and taken to Duke Hospital with serious injuries.

The suspect has now been identified by police as Burnett Taylor, a 51 year-old Durham citizen who has died as a result of his injuries.

Police apprehended the suspect, wrote Dr. Victor Dzau, chancellor for health affairs and president and chief executive of the Duke University Health System, in an e-mail Tuesday night addressed to Duke employees and obtained by The Chronicle.

“It is with great sadness that we share with you the news that a Duke employee at the North Duke Street Clinic was shot and killed this afternoon,” the e-mail reads.

Police have confirmed that the shooting does not appear to be a random act, Dzau added. Investigators believe that the man intended to target King.

DPD Chief Jose Lopez said officers training nearby responded to the shooting, WRAL reported.

Officers found King, who had been shot inside the building, and pronounced her dead at the scene, according to a DPD news release.

Doug Stokke, assistant vice president of communications for the Duke University Health System, declined to comment and referred all calls to DPD.

Duke University Police Department Major Gloria Graham confirmed that DPD was the lead investigating agency.

The State Bureau of Investigation and the Police Department's Professional Standards and Criminal Investigation Divisions is currently investigating the shooting, according to the May 4 release.

Charlene King was previously reported to be 54 years old, according to WRAL.

Share and discuss “Woman shot and killed at Duke Health Center clinic in North Durham identified” on social media.