K-ville personal checks shut down early

Krzyzewskiville was shut down after midnight Thursday following the first personal check, likely due to the prevalence of intoxicated students.

Line monitors told The Chronicle early Friday morning that emergency medical services was called “several times” to assist at least two students who passed out from drinking excessively.

Junior Eli Freiman, internal coordinator for Duke EMS, said there were several calls to EMS from K-ville Thursday night, but could not confirm the exact number. He declined to comment further.

Police and line monitors mandated the termination of the first night of personal checks, the annual event that occurs in the days leading up to the basketball game against the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Students said line monitors were ushering tenters and partygoers out of K-ville because police were arriving 25 minutes after the announcement.

Duke Police declined to comment early Friday morning.

Head Line Monitor Zach White, a senior, declined to comment on the Thursday night events around 12:30 a.m. Friday. He added that it is unlikely he will comment on the issue at a later date.

Because one tent check was called Thursday night, there will be four tent checks Friday night, White said.

An e-mail sent around 3 a.m. Friday morning by Line Monitor Zach Harris, a senior, to members of the K-ville e-mail listserv stated that drinking games, such as beer pong, would not be allowed in K-ville during Friday night’s personal checks.

Junior Michael Tooley said he has attended personal checks every year since he has been at Duke.

“This was the worst tenting experience I’ve ever had,” he said. “People who don’t know how to drink drank too much.”

Share and discuss “K-ville personal checks shut down early” on social media.