Zhang elected next Union president

At their meeting Tuesday night, junior Yi Zhang was elected president of Duke University Union.

Duke University Union hopes to expand its programs under a newly elected president—current Major Speakers Director Yi Zhang, a junior.

Zhang will begin her term April 2. She will succeed current President Zach Perret, a senior. Members of the DUU Executive Board and the University Union Board elected Zhang from a pool of four candidates after extensive interviews and discussions Saturday evening.

“I am really excited to utilize new venues next year and make DUU events more enjoyable,” Zhang said.

Vice President of Communications Karen Chen, a junior, said Zhang has the ability to motivate fellow members.

Perret said he was impressed with Zhang’s work as Major Speakers Director.

“Yi has brought a ton of great speakers and pushed the committee to achieve better things,” he said. “She has a great potential to bring the union to better and higher places.”

Zhang added that she wishes to collaborate with student affairs committees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University.

She said she would like to develop the mentor relationship between advisers from the Office of Student Activities and Facilities and DUU.

“OSAF advisors are a great resource,” Zhang said.

In other business:

DUU tentatively scheduled the Cameron Rocks concert for 8 p.m., April 1.

Two artists—whose names will be released when paperwork is finalized tomorrow—will perform at the show, said Major Attractions Director Liz Turner, a senior. She added that DUU will hire professional designers to create posters for the show.

The Battle of the Bands competition between Duke and UNC will take place for the second time March 20 at 6 p.m. at the Coffeehouse, said Campus Concert Series Director Shin Chang, a junior.

Applications can be submitted until March 3, and three bands will be selected from each university to perform. Chang said she hopes to continue this tradition in the future.

“It is a celebration of student music, and we hope to foster a relationship between Duke and UNC in music,” she said.

Share and discuss “Zhang elected next Union president” on social media.