Vote Goldstein for Young Trustee

Chelsea Goldstein and John Harpham are the only two serious candidates for Young Trustee, and their skill sets are what distinguish them in the end.  

Ultimately, Chelsea comes out the winner—she is more than a Chronicle editorial board discusser, though she is that too. She is a true doer (as former vice president for academic affairs for Duke Student Government and an editorial board member).

Chelsea is the best choice we can make for our educations, student services, resources and investments. Chelsea was the first person in five years to oversee an actual change to a curriculum (with the Masters of Management Studies degree at the Fuqua School of Business). As Duke’s advocate before the Board regarding the vision Duke has stated for its future—campus space, sustainability and diversity—Chelsea certainly has her finger on the campus pulse, on what it has expressed its commitments to and the ways in which it is not fulfilling them.  

She is a communicator; she knows how to listen and debate. Under a system where she is permitted to speak at only eight of her 12 Board meetings, the Young Trustee needs to be able to come in and make a prompt and proper response, so that the undergraduate experience can best be represented within the constraints provided her. In this time constraint, it is clear that Chelsea would be the greatest communicator on our behalf.  

Finally, John and Zach Perret will come in with the perspective of themselves, and a few friends, but Chelsea represents a wide gamut of student interests and concerns in a way that the others do not. While we do not agree with our Democrat partisans that merely being a woman, or for that matter, the outward appearance of any of the candidates, overqualifies Chelsea to represent the student body, she outdoes her competitors by leaps and bounds, based on the content of her character and the quality of her ideas alone.

Justin Robinette

President, Duke College Republicans

Trinity ’11

Share and discuss “Vote Goldstein for Young Trustee” on social media.