Union to sponsor Arabian-themed Duke Royale

At DUU’s meeting Tuesday night, Special Projects Director Christie Falco (right) announced that the theme of this year’s Duke Royale will be Arabian Nights.

Duke University Union will sponsor its annual semiformal event, Duke Royale for the third straight year this April.

At its meeting Tuesday night, DUU members discussed the upcoming Duke Royale, a cocktail party hosted at the Doris Duke Center in the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. The event is scheduled for April 8 from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m.

“The idea behind the event is to provide students with a memorable experience and create more interaction between faculty and students,” said junior Karen Chen, vice president of communications. “We want to help form our campus culture and make it more enjoyable.”

Duke Royale is an annual semiformal event for all students. In case it rains April 8, a rain date has been set for April 15. Last year, the party theme was Casino Royale, and this year’s will be Arabian Nights, said Special Projects Director Christie Falco, a senior.

DUU members also announced details for Cameron Rocks ticket sales. Tickets will go on sale Monday at 9 a.m. The price for students is $25, and tickets can only be purchased in person at the box office. Tickets will go on sale for the general public Wednesday.

“To get a good seat, you would have to go wait at the line early on,” Chen said.

In other business:

The rXn Dance Party, initially scheduled for Jan. 30, will take place sometime in April, Falco said.

The event was originally intended to be a tenting kick-off party, but was delayed due to weather. Because the event will no longer occur during tenting season, it will no longer be co-sponsored by the Line Monitors and the men’s basketball team. A date and venue have not yet been decided.

“The party will have a whole new identity and be marketed differently,” Falco said.

Share and discuss “Union to sponsor Arabian-themed Duke Royale” on social media.