CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Massive Attack - Heligoland

Twelve years after their last group effort, trip-hop progenitors Massive Attack have returned to the scene with Heligoland. No, I haven’t forgotten 2003’s 100th Window, though I would like to, but that was effectively a solo project from frontman Robert “3D” Del Naja.

Although the new album does not stray far from the band’s roots, it is for the best—this is one of the band’s most focused LPs yet. And moody as Heligoland is, this may be as laidback and lighthearted as the genre can be: perfect for trip-hop newcomers.

Massive Attack maintains the dark undercurrents of 1998’s critically-acclaimed Mezzanine on Heligoland, but the band also returns to their organic, jazzy roots. The album continues their trend of stellar guest vocalists, including TV on the Radio’s Tunde Adebimpe and Damon Albarn of Blur and Gorillaz fame. The music swirls and slides easily track to track: from the trance-like crooning of opening dirge “Pray For Rain,” to the dub-influenced lead single “Splitting the Atom,” to the sweeping strings of the ethereal “Paradise Circus.” The psychedelic and freewheeling “Psyche” is a mid-album standout, stylistically reminiscent of friendly trip-hop rival Portishead. The album closes with the brooding, breakbeat-laden “Atlas Air,” one of their best songs yet.

Heligoland is not without blemishes, however. The meandering, experimental “Flat of the Blade” falls flat and “Rush Minute,” straight from the forgettable 100th Window era, is distant and minimalist. But though this is no Mezzanine 2.0, it’s also not 101st Window, for which all trip-hop fans are grateful. Yes, Massive Attack is truly back, and with style and flair.

Share and discuss “Massive Attack - Heligoland” on social media.