Dancer tackles misconceptions of Africa through art

“I am battling against the myth of African dance.” 

So said Zimbabwean dancer Nora Chipaumire, who has spent her career redefining her idea of self and the world’s concept of a single, monolithic Africa through melding ancient traditions of dance with contemporary music and motion.

Her latest project Lions Will Roar, Swans Will Fly, Angels Will Wrestle Heaven, Rains Will Break: Gukurahundi! challenges the contrived conceptions of Africa, seeking to explore the authentic depths of the continent’s greatest cities.

“There is always bad press about Africa,” Chipaumire said of her reasons for creating the piece. “There are so many misperceptions. It is seen as one country.”

Zimbabwe has been in and out of the international press for years, taking the back burner whenever events in the Middle East become particularly heated, Chipaumire said. She believes that being out from under the world’s distant scrutiny may be good for the country, but just because Zimbabwe is off of the front page doesn’t mean its problems are solved. The recent global economic crisis provided a compelling moment for Chipaumire to express the ideas presented through Gukurahundi!

“The economy was deteriorating in Zimbabwe,” she said. “It created an interesting juxtaposition when the economy collapsed in the United States.”

Gukurahundi! is a collaboration between Chipaumire and Zimbabwean musical greats Thomas Mapfumo and the Blacks Unlimited. They are bringing the performance to Duke this weekend, as well as serving as artists-in-residence for the week. Chipaumire, Mapfumo and the Blacks Unlimited discussed their respective art in an African and African-American Studies class Tuesday.

In the class, Chipaumire danced playfully with her partner Souleymane Badolo while Mapfumo and his band jammed in the background.

“This is authentic art. A lot of people outside of Africa are exposed to the ‘Tarzan’ Africa,” Chipaumire told the class after her dance. “We make authentic art. It is definitely not for tourist consumption. It’s done because we live it. It’s who we are, and therefore it is authentic.”

Along with confronting misconceptions of Africa, Chipaumire attempts to tackle the issue of dislocation through her dance. Living outside of Zimbabwe and performing for foreign audiences, Chipaumire strives to represent this separation of worlds.

“I’m interested in how I can talk about being Zimbabwean out of Zimbabwe,” Chipaumire explained. “What does that dislocation look like? I’m looking for a visual language for that dislocation.” 

Chipaumire has been dancing her whole life, but professionally, she stumbled upon dance almost by accident. Living in the United States, she decided to take a modern dance class at a community college to release energy.

“I was intrigued by the female pioneers of American modern dance and interested in a female power in art,” Chipaumire said. “I am, at the bottom-line, fascinated by what women do.”

Despite the political and social undertones of her art, Chipaumire’s work ultimately comes from a very personal place.

“I am a modern person, I live everywhere,” she explained. “I’m not representing Zimbabwe, I’m representing me, and that’s a very contemporary idea.”

Even when her audiences are far removed from the cultural context of Zimbabwe, Chipaumire is confident the complex design and complete picture of her performance communicates with the viewer.

“I just want to show an authentic and honest me in the now,” Chipaumire said. “Regardless of cultural differences, people can relate to honesty.”

Nora Chipaumire will perform at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Reynolds Industries Theater. General admission tickets are $22 or $28, student tickets are $5.

Share and discuss “Dancer tackles misconceptions of Africa through art” on social media.