Hometown hero Scheyer blows Duke past Cyclones

Senior Jon Scheyer, a Chicago native, scored 31 points to lead Duke past Iowa State at the United Center Wednesday.

CHICAGO — When Jon Scheyer finally stepped off the court with 1:39 left in the second half Wednesday against Iowa State in Chicago, he received a standing ovation from a crowd which includes more than 500 friends, family members and former teachers—and he richly deserved it.

The No. 5 Blue Devils (13-1) sailed safely past the Cyclones at the United Center, 86-65, and in the process won their first game in Chicago since 2004. Scheyer, a senior and Chicago native had 31 points, his second-best output this season. Juniors Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler added 20 and 15, respectively.

“I think offensively in the second half we were just very, very efficient, and Jon has spectacular game, obviously, for him coming back home to play like that,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

Playing in Krzyzewski’s hometown as well, the Blue Devils made themselves at home immediately after tipoff with 9-0 run to start the contest. The lead grew to 14-2 before the Cyclones (10-4) responded with an 11-0 run and came back to within one, the closest they would get to a lead of their own all game.

Marquis Gilstrap, Iowa State’s top scorer in the game, had 16 points. Three other Cyclones had double-digits, but the Blue Devils were able to limit forward Craig Brackins, one of the Big 12’s best players, to 12 points and two rebounds, well below season averages of 17.4 points and 8.3 rebounds.

“Lance [Thomas] did a good job of containing Brackins, where Brackins didn’t have his All-American night,” Krzyzewski said. “He’s a good player… but Lance did a good job just trying to control him a little bit.”

The Blue Devils quickly widened the lead back near double digits despite the loudest cheers of the night from a large crowd of Iowa State fans. To end the first half, Cyclones’ Gilstrap hit a long buzzer-beater from downtown and the Cyclones crowd erupted as Iowa State closed to within eight.

But in the second half, Krzyzewski’s squad tightened its defense and Duke forced nine Cyclone turnovers within 10 minutes to stretch its advantage to 19 points, and the Blue Devils would keep their double-digit lead for the rest of the game.

Duke’s top three scorers—Scheyer, Smith and Singler—contributed in a big way. The trio had 30 of Duke’s 41 points at halftime and ended with 66 points on the final tally. For Scheyer, the game was his first since his arrival at Duke near his hometown of Northbrook, Ill.

“There were people who have been there for me throughout my whole life since I've been a little kid," he said. “Many people haven't been able to see me play. This is their first time being able to see me, so that means a lot, too…. I just wanted to come in, and not disappoint the 500 people here.”

Scheyer’s turnover-to-assist ratio improves to 5.125 tonight and leads the NCAA. Singler said Scheyer did a good job, as usual, of handling the ball and just made the shots the team needed.

With the win, the Blue Devils improve to 7-0 at the United Center. And with this nonconference game out of the way, Duke can look ahead to the bulk of ACC conference play, which continues against No. 20 Georgia Tech (11-3) this Saturday in Atlanta.

But Wednesday was all about Scheyer’s triumphant return to the arena where he watched Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and other NBA stars dominate years ago.

“I’ve been here so many times to watch games, seen so many great players here,” Scheyer said. “It ended up being a good night.”

Share and discuss “Hometown hero Scheyer blows Duke past Cyclones” on social media.