Panhel pushes for Central sorority space

Next Fall, sororities could have a space to call their own.

Seniors Alyssa Dack and Casey Miller—both sorority members—are in the process of formulating a formal residential space proposal for Central Campus. They have submitted drafts to Residential Life and Housing Services and Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost of undergraduate education and are awaiting feedback from sorority chapters to make sure all concerns are addressed. Dack and Miller will present a proposal to Campus Council tonight.

The current draft proposal asks for two one-bedroom woodskin apartment buildings on Central that would have approximately 28 beds for the members of nine Panhellenic Association sororities through an opt-in process. The proposal also requests that one apartment in each building be remodeled as a common space. Owned by four to five Panhellenic sororities, the common spaces would be serve small programming functions, such as speakers, small group discussions and ritual activities.

Dack and Miller met with sorority members Wednesday evening to address their concerns about the proposal, one of which is the rationale for choosing Central Campus.

“With plans for New Campus put on halt with the economic issues, we were forced to look elsewhere for a temporary solution until the campus is actually built,” Miller said. “This is an intermediate solution. Some people are concerned that we are giving in to the administration, but I feel it is beneficial to both parties. We also feel by locking in space on Central now, we will be compensated properly when the New Campus does come into existence.”

Dack and Miller noted that many have asked why Panhellenic is acting now.

Clarybel Peguero, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life, said there have been many attempts in the past to acquire space. But at that time, there was more of a focus on individual chapters, she said. This proposal takes a unique approach by having general Panhellenic space where girls from various chapters can interact, in addition to living space.

“In the past we’ve been pretty split by chapter affiliation, and with Derby Days we came together for a cause,” Miller said. “We want to move along with the momentum [Derby Days] gave us and make Panhel more of a strong, cohesive unit. With the strong group of women we have now, we feel now is the time to strike.”

Derby Days was Sigma Chi fraternity’s annual week-long annual event to raise money for various national charities that involved various competition among Duke’s sororities. But in October, the presidents of all nine Panhellenic sororities joined to withdraw from the event.

Dack said the space on Central is not mandatory but is an option for junior and senior Panhellenic girls looking for a residential community on campus. Interest for the living space is still being gauged.

Both Nowicki and Associate Dean for Residential Life Joe Gonzalez said that although the proposal will be considered very seriously, it is hard to assess the situation until the final proposal is submitted.

“We won’t be able finalize anything until they finalize what they want,” Gonzalez said. “We’re hoping that [the meetings they’re having this week] will produce something more real and go beyond the theoretical and informal discussions we’ve had.”  

The idea for the proposal stems from when greek honor society Order of Omega discussed Duke sorority and fraternity life with Nowicki and Sue Wasiolek, dean of students and assistant vice president for student affairs.

Wasiolek said that in 1980, sororities were given a building on Oregon Street–currently a police station–but returned it to the University because it was too difficult to manage.

“In previous years, [living space for sororities] was a topic that was debated, talked about, considered, but to my knowledge there has never been a formal proposal submitted for residential space,” she said.

Several other organizations, including some fraternities, are also in talks with RLHS to get space on Central.

“We’ve been working hard on upgrading Central,” Nowicki said. “Ubuntu wanted space on West [Campus] but because of the moratorium, we were unable to give it to them, so they had to get space on Central and they’re deliriously happy out there. We are aware that since the New Campus has been put on hold we have to make Central a more attractive option. The student experience [on Central] is going to be very different next year [with the addition of] a full restaurant, study spaces and a bar, among other things.”

Dack and Miller are working with administrators, RLHS, Panhellenic presidents and Duke Student Government in hopes of implementing the housing option by next Fall.

“All the ducks are lined up, we should be able to do something,” Nowicki said. “There is no reason why we shouldn’t be able to [get this done] by Fall 2010.”

Share and discuss “Panhel pushes for Central sorority space” on social media.