Smith Suspended Two Games

After a dominant 84-48 exhibition victory against Findlay Tuesday night, head coach Mike Krzyzewski was forced to address some less than exciting business: due to junior Nolan Smith's brief participation in an unapproved summer league game, the guard will forced to sit out for the first two regular games of the season.

“He played in a summer league that wasn’t sanctioned and when we found out, we brought it up and let the NCAA know," Krzyzewski said. "It’s a very common occurrence. Actually it’s something that I’m not a big proponent of. I think kids should be able to play wherever they want to play."

Smith played in a game in Washington D.C., not too far from his home in Upper Marlboro, Md., but he said that he does not remember the exact name of the leauge. Also participating were a number of international and professional players. The junior noted that this situation is largely the result of an oversight on his part. The idea of getting permission to play in the game—which took place right before the second session of summer school—didn't even cross his mind.

"I've just got to take the punishment and roll with it," Smith said. "I messed up on my part. Before anything they ask us to get permission, and I just walked in, not thinking, and thought I was just playing a pickup game with my friends and I didn't get permission so I just have to face the punishment."

Smith will not play on Nov. 13 against UNC-Greensboro or on Nov. 16 against Coastal Carolina. Fortunately for the Blue Devils, however these opponents are unlikely to pose significant challenges. Both games will be played in Cameron Indoor Stadium where out-of-conference opponents have lost 68 straight games. Duke's last non-conference defeat at home was an 83-82 loss against St. John's on February 26, 2000.

In an effort to prepare for these two games and see what Duke will be working with in his absence—as Smith put it in the locker room after the game—the Blue Devils played the first half of the Findlay exhibition without the junior. Upon his return after the suspension, however, Smith will remain a starter.

To end the comments on the issue—one that Krzyzewski said he wasn't overly concerned with—the coach had advice for other college players: "This is what every college basketball player has to know. Don’t play in a game that keeps time and score unless it’s a sanctioned game. So you never go out on the court and play in a game that has time and score. Call us up, it has to be approved by the athletic director and [in this case] it wasn’t."

Share and discuss “Smith Suspended Two Games” on social media.