LIVE BLOG: Duke 84, Findlay 48 (FINAL)

The Blue Devils leave with the win and got the chance to try out a lot of different lineups. All in all, this is the type of test that Duke was looking for: to play a team with a winning history to emulate a regular season game.

Before the game ended, junior Steve Johnson got a chance to play a few minutes. The crowd called for walk-on Casey Peters to come into the game, but time expired before Duke got an opportunity to make a sub.

Make sure to check out DukeChronicle.com tomorrow for more coverage of this game!

Duke 80, Findlay 42, 3:29 left in the second half

With just a few minutes left to play, a few fans are taking the chance to head out a bit early and beat the rush. You can't really blame them, I think the 38-point lead is pretty safe.

In other fan news, the students just started the "Go to Hell Carolina, Go to Hell" chant for the first time all game.

Duke 71, Findlay 37, 7:11 left in the second half

Zoubek made both shots before heading to the bench to give Miles Plumlee some playing time. The biggest question on my mind right now: Can Duke score 100 points tonight? At this point, it'd be a stretch to think it will happen.

Duke 69, Findlay 37, 7:49 left in the second half

Findlay's Parker just showed some nice range on a 3-point shot.

On the other end, Zoubek—who is back in the game for Miles Plumlee—picked up his ninth rebound before getting fouled and missing the shot from the line. The Oilers already have eight team fouls while the Blue Devils have just one.

On the next trip down the court, Zoubek made a nice move for the bucket. As Findlay move the ball up court, Scheyer made a steal and made the uncontested layup to extend Duke's lead.

Zoubek got fouled—again—as he made a move in the post. The senior now has 7 points to go along with 9 boards and will shoot the free throws after the timeout.

Duke 62, Findlay 32, 10:12 left in the second half

Mason Plumlee is back in the game after coming in for Zoubek and just swatted one of the Oilers' shots. The ball went flying out of bounds, but it sure looked sweet.

Duke is currently working with a very young group of players on the hardwood: Dawkins, Kelly, and Miles Plumlee are all freshmen, Czyz is a sophomore and so Smith is the only upperclassman on the floor.

Duke 59, Findlay 27, 12:24 left in the second half

With a comfortable lead, I think it's time to give you a link. J.J. Redick is allegedly working on a rap album. Apparently poetry wasn't enough?

Also: Olek Czyz, a fan favorite, is now on the court. He just threw the ball down on  a pass to Brian Zoubek to the delight of the crowd. The forward looks a lot more comfortable on the floor this year and seems to be moving well on the defensive end.

Currently on the floor: Smith, Dawkins, Czyz, Kelly and Zoubek.

Duke 55, Findlay 27, 14:51 left in the second half

Miles Plumlee just took a serious vertical leap for the swat. The sophomore had two blocks in the first half and has dominated the paint defensively so far this game.

On the following possession, Scheyer hit a nice shot and now has 12 points on the game.

Duke just ran a set play—something that they won't do too many times this year as it looks to get out on the break—and Singler got the bucket on the assist from Smith. On the next trip down the court, Smith kept the ball for himself and scored for the first time on the night.

Duke 49, Findlay 27, 17:23 left in the second half

Nolan Smith is back on the court and just picked up an assist after dishing the ball to Kyle Singler for a 3-pointer.

Duke has looked much sharper so far in the second half. Singler now has 16 points, and the Blue Devils have been dominant in the paint.

After a transition bucket by senior Jon Scheyer, Findlay takes a timeout to talk things over.

Duke 36, Findlay 23, beginning of the 2nd Half

At halftime, Sports Information Director Matt Plizga declined to comment on Nolan Smith's status for the first two games of the season, but he did say that Krzyzewski would address the question at the postgame press conference.

A few stats from the first half:

• Duke had 10 turnovers in the first half and shot 13-33 (39.4%) from the floor.
  • Kyle Singler leads the Blue Devils in scoring with nine points in 16 minutes. The junior also had seven rebounds.
  • Duke made more free throws (seven) than the Oilers attempted (six)
  • Though Singler had a productive first half, he did turn the ball over four times.

Duke 36, Findlay 23, HALFTIME.

Just got a message from a reader (DukeDevil007) who might have an idea of why Nolan Smith didn't start the game:

From what I just read elsewhere, apparently Nolan accidentally took part of a summer league game that is illegal for college players. He will have to sit the first two regular season games, so Coach K adjusted the first half lineup to get the lineup ready for UNCG and CC. Nolan will be back in the 2nd half.

I did hear Smith say earlier this year that there shouldn't be any problems with him playing the first few games of the season, but I will try to check at half time and see if anyone knows if this is correct.

Duke 34, Findlay 18, 2:30 left in the first half:

If you're not already following us on Twitter, click this here and check it out. Andy Moore is currently giving updates with his tweets for @ChronicleSports.

Duke is starting to get in a rhythm, and a 3-point shot by Scheyer got Cameron Indoor as loud as it has been all night. Findlay has found ways to score, but the Blue Devil lead is growing larger by the minute.

Also in Cameron Indoor tonight is former head coach Bucky Waters. He's sitting on press row directly to my right and seems to be enjoying the game so far.

Duke 27, Findlay 14, 5:45 left in the first half:

As Krzyzewski promised during a preseason press conference, Singler is playing exclusively on the perimeter. So far, he looks comfortable there, assisting a Scheyer 3-pointer to put Duke up 11.

I do have to say, though, this hasn't exactly been too nice looking of a game. With 7:20 to play, the teams have combined for 15 fouls and a bunch of turnovers.

After a media timeout, Scheyer, Kelly, Singler, Thomas and Zoubek are out on the court. Outside of a little pile at Duke's offensive end fighting for the ball, it's been an relatively uneventful couple of minutes.

Duke 22, Findlay 14, 8:20 left in the first half:

During the timeout, the crowd got a message from former Duke great Carlos Boozer who spoke about the great atmosphere in Cameron Indoor.

With 10:40 left, Findlay guard Brown drew the foul and made one of two free throws. On the second shot—the one he missed—the Cameron Crazies got the whole arena quiet until right before he shot and then screamed in unison. Lance Thomas answered on the other end with a bucket.

Other evidence that some things never change: Krzyzewski has actively been walking the sidelines and, of course, working the referees early.

Two free throws by Singler and then two made free throws on the other end by the Oilers leave us at 20-14.

Duke 16, Findlay 11, 11:11 left in the first half:

Current lineup: Scheyer, Andre Dawkins, Ryan Kelly, Miles Plumlee and Zoubek.

As Duke gives Cameron Indoor a good look at all of its guards, it's hard not to wonder what transfer Seth Curry would look like out on the floor. Curry, per NCAA rules, must sit out for the 2009-2010 season. Nonetheless, he sits on the end of the bench in aa gray polo sweater.

Singler, who is back on the floor after subbing in for Zoubek, just missed both free throws. On the next Findlay possession, the Oilers' JoVaughn Brown had a nice finger roll to keep his team within five points nearly halfway through the half.

(Side note: As I type keep you all updated, I was just nearly hit by the ball on Findlay's offensive end.)

Duke 16, Findlay 9, 13:56 left in the first half:

Senior Jordan Davidson is getting some time early and helping out Jon Scheyer with some of the ballhandling responsibilities. Meanwhile, the Plumlee brothers have been productive on the offensive end accounting for back-to-back baskets.

The biggest mystery so far tonight: Why did Nolan start? My guess would be that Krzyzewski is simply taking the opportunity to try out a new lineup.

Duke 10, Findlay 4, 17:04 left in the first half:

Mason Plumlee is now in the game having replaced Zoubek. The freshman forward got to the line soon after entering and made both free throws to put Duke up 10-2.

The Oilers' Marcus Parker may only be 5-foot-9, but he is playing some physical defense on Scheyer has he takes the ball up the court.

It's already pretty evident that Duke will be able to get the win tonight, but it won't be for a lack of effort on Findlay's part. The Division II champions have moved the ball well on offense in the first four minutes.

Still, the fans are showing Findlay no love. "Five fouls, four points," chant the Cameron Crazies.

Duke 8, Findlay 2, 17:04 left in the first half:

After securing the tip on the opening play of the game, sophomore Miles Plumlee was fouled and made one of two free throws. The Oilers scored on their first possession to get the 2-1 lead, but they couldn't hold it for long as Duke scored five straight.

The Blue Devils are experimenting with a fairly tall lineup at the moment: Scheyer is the only player shorter than 6-foot-8.

PREGAME: We're just minutes away from game time in Cameron Indoor Stadium as the Blue Devils take on the Oilers in their final exhibition game of the season. Findlay—a Division II program—went 36-0 last season and is ranked N0. 4 in the Division II preseason poll. Don't expect this one to be too close, though. Nonetheless, stay along with us as we see how the Blue Devils look as they get ready for the upcoming season.

Starting for Duke tonight will be: Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler, Lance Thomas, Miles Plumlee and Brian Zoubek.

And as for the Cameron Crazies, we hear that there are no cheer sheets tonight. The chant in reference to the Oilers' orange and black of "Halloween's Over" was impromptu!

Share and discuss “LIVE BLOG: Duke 84, Findlay 48 (FINAL)” on social media.