DUPD puts officer on unpaid leave

Webster Delenn Simmons was arrested by the Houston County Sheriff’s Department Oct. 26 on first-degree rape and sodomy charges.

A Duke University Police Officer charged with raping an Alabama woman is no longer being paid by the University, DUPD Chief John Dailey confirmed Thursday night.

Webster Delenn Simmons, 37, was arrested by the Houston County Sheriff’s Department Oct. 26 on first-degree rape and sodomy charges. Simmons was placed on paid leave following his arrest until he was placed on unpaid leave last Wednesday.

DUPD is currently conducting a standard investigation into Simmons’ conduct during his time with the department to see if he committed any crimes during time on the force.

Dailey declined to comment on whether or not a change in the investigation prompted the change in Simmons’ status, citing the University’s policy of not commenting on personnel issues.

“The fact is he’s still an employee, with unpaid status, and we are continuing our investigation,” Dailey said.

Simmons is accused of assaulting a 34-year-old woman after leaving a local nightclub with her the morning of Oct. 24.

Share and discuss “DUPD puts officer on unpaid leave” on social media.