Spring 2010 Roompix sees fewer choices

With the Few Quadrangle already full, RLHS officials said there will be “very few opportunities” for study abroad students to move in.

Students returning from study abroad programs this Spring may have to settle for less when it comes to housing.

Last year, the opening of Few Quadrangle in Spring 2009 allowed for greater flexibility in accommodating housing preferences, said Jen Frank, assistant director of accommodations for Residence Life and Housing Services. Frank wrote in an e-mail to students Wednesday that there would be “very few opportunities” for returning students to select their own roommate for Spring 2010.

“When I start meeting with students, I remind them that the housing option is limited when they go abroad,” Frank said. “If people wanted to go during Spring, that would make the process easier but most don’t.”

Some students returning from abroad said they have been frustrated and anxious with the limited housing options.

“RLHS is making it sound as though they don’t have room for us when we come back from abroad,” said junior Lori Walker, who is currently studying abroad in London. “My No. 1 priority is living with my roommate, but that sounds like it’s going to be impossible.”

RLHS has taken measures to alleviate the tight housing situation, Frank said, including moving the housing lottery three weeks earlier than last year to ensure that students have enough time adjust their plans.

In addition, 258 students were released from their three-year housing contract through the off-campus lottery. Less than 10 percent of those students currently live on campus—the rest are those who are studying abroad this semester. The majority of students who applied for the off-campus lottery were released.

“We try to give thorough information as quickly as possible, and try our best to be transparent about what is going on,” Frank said.

Still, some students have encountered problems with the housing process that they believe should be addressed.

Junior Anne Moriarity, who is in Madrid this semester, said RLHS needs to work on improving communication with students.

“RLHS has laid out a couple of options that are not favorable,” Moriarity said. “They seem to be pushing us to off-campus, which is strange because you have to apply for lottery and that doesn’t guarantee much. The problem is that they are not being clear with us and not clarifying how many will be available.”

She added that Spring housing seems to be a consistent problem every year—with the exception of last year—that RLHS and the administration should resolve.  

Other students, however, have found more suitable solutions for Spring housing.

“I am actually really lucky because my situation worked out,” said junior Wonnie Song, who is now studying at New York University through the Arts and Media Program. “A good friend of mine who lives on Central [Campus] has a roommate who is moving out, so I will be living with her.”

Song added that she understands the concerns many students have regarding Spring housing, but also the difficulty that RLHS has with accommodation. Both RLHS and students should do their best to “have more understanding for each side,” Song said.

“We are open to suggestions from students, but they are usually ‘I want what I want,’ not really suggestions that could improve the system,” Frank said.

Share and discuss “Spring 2010 Roompix sees fewer choices” on social media.