Graduates to amplify game day presence

Thanks to new athletic department policies, graduate students will have a greater presence at Cameron Indoor Stadium for the upcoming basketball season.

Co-chairs of the Graduate and Professional Student Council Basketball Committee explained the new ushering policies and game day regulations at the GPSC meeting Tuesday. Both end zones, instead of just one, will be reserved for graduate students. Each end zone will have a designated wristband color in order to prevent end zone switching during halftime. The graduate school is also guaranteed 725 tickets, as opposed to last year’s 700 tickets.

“We are going to have more fun and get more rowdy in Cameron this year,” said Basketball Committee co-Chair Mark Kohler, a third-year Ph.D. candidate in chemistry. He added that students are encouraged to bring guests and family to keep graduate attendance high for every game.

Kohler also stressed the increased levels of security for basketball games this season. This year, bags are no longer allowed at the student center in Cameron. Basketball Committee co-Chair Felicia Hawthorne, a third-year Ph.D. candidate in genetics and genomics, noted that Duke Athletics is going to be very strict about the new policy.

In other business:

At the meeting, members discussed GPSC’s Green Team, which was created last year and is dedicated to sustainability and recycling projects.

The Green Team is also currently looking to distribute bins throughout campus offices and labs to encourage recycling.

“The idea is to facilitate recycling in the work spaces on campus,” said Green Team Chair Liz Bloomhardt, a third-year graduate student in mechanical engineering.

It was also announced that a re-election will take place Nov. 3 for positions on the Judicial Committee, which deals with internal GPSC issues, said Yvonne Ford, president of GPSC and a fourth-year Ph.D. candidate in nursing.

“There was a mistake in the voting procedures last meeting where a person was deleted from the ballot who should not have been,” Ford said. “We did not catch this mistake at the time and are re-opening the ballot for nominations until the re-vote.”

Share and discuss “Graduates to amplify game day presence” on social media.