Forum to foster global awareness

Before Spring semester classes even begin, a select group of students will be tackling the economic issues facing global sustainability.

The University’s first annual Winter Forum, scheduled for Jan. 10 to 12, is a two-and-a-half day conference for undergraduates. Each forum in coming years will focus on an important global issue and will be led by a different University institute or school. This year’s forum, titled, “Making the Green Economy Work,” is run by the Nicholas Institute for Environmental Policy Solutions, and will be held at the Sanford School of Public Policy.

“The Winter Forum is one piece of a project aimed toward creating a global experience for students,” said Donna Lisker, associate dean of undergraduate education. “The idea was to have a conference particularly interested in attracting students who haven’t had the opportunity to go abroad because of requirements of their schedules.”

About 75 students submitted applications, which were due Oct. 7, Lisker said. The program has about the same number of spaces available for participants, she added.

Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost of undergraduate education, said students selected will be part of a unique educational experience.

“The idea of these programs is to enhance the global perspective of Duke,” Nowicki said. He added that the forum’s goal is to “create an on-campus experience that draws students from different backgrounds and perspectives together to discuss an issue of global significance.”

The free program consists of a speaker series, interactive discussion seminars and student reflections on ways to establish a green economy. According to the forum Web site, invited speakers include Joe Aldy, energy adviser for President Barack Obama, Fred Krupp, president of the Environmental Defense Fund, and faculty from a wide array of Duke schools and institutes.

Lisker said the application process consisted of questions related to why students are interested in participating in the Winter Forum, whether they have prior experience with related issues and whether they have studied abroad or participated in DukeEngage.

“We are trying to get a sense of where students are starting from so that the faculty can target the content of the forum effectively,” Lisker said.

The idea for the Forum originated during the reaccreditation process the University goes through every 10 years. Part of this process requires performing a self-study of the University’s quality of education and creating a Quality Enhancement Plan proposing ideas for its improvement, Nowicki said.

The Winter Forum is one of three programs created through the QEP. The other programs are the Global Semester Abroad and the Global Advisers Program.

The Duke Global Health Institute will host next year’s forum, which is aimed to be an engaging learning experience focused on problem-solving and group work, said Lisa Croucher, assistant director for education and training at DGHI.

At this point in the planning process, a faculty committee is evaluating many proposed topics, ranging from global health and economics to emerging infectious diseases and disaster preparedness.

“The challenge is that we’ll have too many ideas and we’ll have to reign ourselves in,” Croucher said.

Share and discuss “Forum to foster global awareness” on social media.